Respected Contributor

Hydrangeas- What Type Likes Full Sun?

I just love hydrangeas. I have a spot in my garden where I could put 2, but it's almost full sun (Seattle area).

Any suggestions on a type that continues to bloom Summer through Fall?

Occasional Contributor

Re: Hydrangeas- What Type Likes Full Sun?

Honored Contributor

I can give two types that like full sun Hydrangea paniculata and Hydrangea arborescens. Coincidentally, they both bloom on new wood or the current year's growth.

Make certain when you go nursery shopping, it doesn't just say 'hydrangea' it should say the other half of the Latin name.

There are numerous cultivars out there of both species. 

Here is one website so you can see a few of them:

http://www.hydrangea.com/shopping/start.php?browse=1&cat=5

http://www.hydrangea.com/shopping/start.php

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

Panicle hydrangeas are cultivated for full sun.  There are not a ton of them to choose from as most hydrangeas prefer partial shade and they are late bloomers.

There are a couple that I love and have in my landscape.

Limelight is a beautiful plant and it gets big.  The flowers are light green.  It also comes in a smaller version called Little Lime... I really love those.  I planted 4 Little Limes this year.

PInky Winky is another big hydrangea with colors of pink and white,  They grow on non drooping stems.  My neighbor has some and they are quite showy, the flower heads are cones shaped and unique.  I am getting some to plant as soon as the weather cooperates.

Quickfire is another one that is big.  This  plant blooms very early in the spring and lasts to the fall. It is bright pink.

What people don't realize is that most hydrangeas are large and need space to grow.  Many get cut down because they are too big for the area.

Trusted Contributor

I have all Endless Summer Hydrangeas in my front and backyard. I have nine in total.

The ones in my shade garden have grown quite large in this first summer and they have bloomed all summer, without end.

I have 3 plants in full sun that are much smaller, but have bloomed all summer as well.  Less blooms though and they require SO much more water than the others.  One of them looked burnt for a few days, but I was able to save it.

I don't know if there is a hydrangea that truly enjoys full sun/summer heat, but I'm asking my landscaper to transplant the ones I have in full sun.  I don't recommend it.

Respected Contributor

CARMIE. Smiley Happy

I'm familiar with all those you mentioned, & like all of them. I've always thought Limelight would be a beauty to grow in my yard. 

Respected Contributor

Thanks for all your responses & excellent info/links!

Heart

Respected Contributor

I have 3 Forever & Ever Red on the side of my house in planter pots (shade with dappled sun). They're probably 7 or 8 years old, & continue to thrive in those pots. I'm sure they're massively root-bound, but they grow huge & are packed with blooms. 

Respected Contributor

I just looked on the Monrovia site, & I think I'll buy the "Little Lime". The height of 3-5 feet, + it's light needs make it ideal. I didn't realize the blooms turned pink in the Fall...how cool. My pink Hydrangeas that are reddish pink turn to lime in the Fall. Smiley Happy

Regular Contributor

I have both Annabelle and Vanilla Strawberry in my yard.  They both do fine in full sun, but of the two I'd say Annabelle does better in part sun.  The blooms on it are beautiful!  They look like giant snowballs and have a slight scent when they first bloom.  They would be beautiful dried.  Mine are still blooming but pretty soon they will start turning a light brown.  I had my landscaping redone last summer and the landscaper planted Vanilla Strawberry which gets much more sun than the Annabelles and they do fine (never see any scorched leaves).  They also have a slight scent when they bloom.  They start out looking like a vanilla ice cream cone and gradually turn a strawberry pink from the bottom.  It really looks like a strawberry ice cream cone with whipped cream on top.  Finally they completely turn a darker shade of pink this time of year (I'm in the Midwest).  If you'd like some color, I'd say the Vanilla Strawberry is a good choice for full sun.  The nice thing is I don't need to amend the soil to get the pink color!