Respected Contributor

Re: Hydrangeas- What Type Likes Full Sun?

[ Edited ]

Gerdane.  Smiley Happy

Doesn't Annabelle need staking? That is a spectacular hydrangea.

I've also looked at Vanilla Strawberry, & I love the pink/white mix. It looks like I have some really good options.

Honored Contributor

@spot555 wrote:

Gerdane.  Smiley Happy

I've also looked at Vanilla Strawberry, & I love the pink/white mix. It lloks like I have some really good options.

It could if you don't keep it within bounds. 'Bella Anna' is a pink arborescens related to 'Annabelle'.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

@spot555, whichever one you choose, good luck.  My absolute favorite shrub.  If you get vanilla strawberry know that it gets REALLY big.  I have two and just love them.  I also have limelights and it is pretty.  Post a pic when you get it in the ground.  LM

Regular Contributor

@spot555 wrote:

Gerdane.  Smiley Happy

I've also looked at Vanilla Strawberry, & I love the pink/white mix. It looks like I have some really good options.

golden retriever, The Annabelles can get top heavy but surprisingly don't need staking.  I am amazed that the stalks hold them up.  They just all kind of hold each other up making one large hedge.  I do prune them periodically to keep them within the area I want them to grow.  Mine are against my house so maybe that helps with support.  I suppose you could try a tomato cage over them as they start coming up in the spring but I don't think you would need to.  Good luck with whatever you choose.  Gardening is so much fun! 🌸
Honored Contributor

Peony hoop might work too for a while until the shrub outgrows it but it might be better -- 2 stakes and some twine to kind of hold them back.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼