Honored Contributor

I bought a small strawberry and cream one yesterday,thinking of putting in a planter pot,if i did what do you do with them in the winter? I live in maine.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

I bought a small strawberry and cream one yesterday,thinking of putting in a planter pot,if i did what do you do with them in the winter? I live in maine.

Stick it into the ground after it flowers. I have that one on either side of tool shed doors. Great hydrangea as it blooms on new and old growth.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

Can i keep it in a pot?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

Yes, you can - but winter kill is more likely as the roots don't have the protection of being "in ground".  

To minimize this likelihood, move the container to a protected spot alongside a wall, or buried in leaves/mulch, or put in an unheated outbuilding - some even wrap the pot in burlap and stuff the space between the pot and the wrap with packing peanuts - 

Remember, too, that the pot's composition is worth consideration.  Some materials, like clay or porous ceramics, can crack during winter.  Any moisture that gets into the pore spaces will expand on freezing and may crack the pot.  Plastics, metal, fiberglass may be more resistant to weather damage.

If you have a very dry winter, and especially if you decide to move the pot to a covered (indoor) location, water occasionally.

Cogito ergo sum
Esteemed Contributor

@goldensrbest, the strawberry vanilla ones are gorgeous!!!  The flowers are so pretty and they seem to be tough ones good for our neck of the woods.  LM

Honored Contributor

I agree with a potted hydrangea needing protection thru the winter, such as in a basement or inside corner of the garage.   

Contributor

Love this one, it's is very pretty. I saw this one at lowe's this spring and almost purchased it but a friend purchased one and she gave me a clipping and i am rooting it. So far so good. About the protection of the hydrangea for Winter it would be better to keep it in your garage and you can water as needed. Good luck with your beautiful hydrangea.

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@goldensrbest, the strawberry vanilla ones are gorgeous!!!  The flowers are so pretty and they seem to be tough ones good for our neck of the woods.  LM

'Strawberry Vanilla' is a paniculata hydrangea that blooms on the current season's wood.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

Yes, move the pot into your garage after it goes dormant, drops its' leaves.  Don't fertilize past the first week of August. Stop watering before the first frost. Usually towards the end of November depending where in Maine you are. Prune away any damaged/dead branches. Some people wrap the branches with twine and cover with burlap for extra protection, some don't.  Your preferance. It is best to use non breakable pots. No ceramic, terra cotta, etc. These aren't the best for winter storage. If the soil contracts/expands during Winter storage this is what causes cracks and breaks. And as the hydrangea gets bigger, so do your pots. They get bigger and heavier to move. Something to think about.  Hydrangeas are beautiful. Those and lilacs seem to be the plants in Maine. We love ours here in Southern Maine!