Esteemed Contributor

Last year I had tons of beautiful blooms , we have 2 side by side.   One has blooms,  not as much as last summer ,  but still blooming .  The other had very few blooms ,  it is very nice and green , both are its just there aren't the blooms on them.  I fertilized them at the beginning of Spring and they get watered .  Am I doing something wrong or do Hydrangeas do this where one year bloom profusely and the next not?  Would love some advice from Hydrangea growers.  Thank you 🌸

Honored Contributor

Re: Hydrangea not many blooms

Could you have pruned it at the wrong time?  It makes a difference, depending on the type of hydrangea.  When I had them, I took a safe but lazy approach.  I'd prune them in early summer, when it was easy to tell which branches were dead / unlikely to bear flowers.

Esteemed Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

Could you have pruned it at the wrong time?  It makes a difference, depending on the type of hydrangea.  When I had them, I took a safe but lazy approach.  I'd prune them in early summer, when it was easy to tell which branches were dead / unlikely to bear flowers.

@ValuSkr  I cut them all the way didn't each year to about 8"   We were told the variety we have grows on the old wood so they are to be cut right didn't.  We cover then lightly with burlap.  It was a very rough winter though this past year.  Plus the summer has been very, very hot .  We lost our red maple that used to give them both dappled sun so that they weren't getting direct sun.  We replaced the red maple so  it isnt as large still so the one that gets more sun isn't blooming as much .  i guess that could be what's going on😕

Honored Contributor

could be the rain?  it has been raining alot here and no blooms at all

Esteemed Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

could be the rain?  it has been raining alot here and no blooms at all

@jackthebear  It could be ,  we e had so much rain.  I actually thought hydrangeas loved  water.   I know they love humid which weve also had much of.

Esteemed Contributor

@Kitty Galore  It's been a weird year weather-wise for most of the US. I'd guess it is an environmental issue and your hydrangeas will be find in 2019.

Sorry about the red maple. They are such an attractive landscaping addition. Glad you have replaced it. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a blue hydrangea bush that I just got and planted late last summer.  It didn't appear to be alive after winter but quickly grew to about 2 feet and full and green - but no blooms in spite of fertilizing according to the instructions that came with it.  I did notice that other people who have the blue had only a few blooms or none at all.  The white ones were green and small.  I don't know what I can do to ensure blooms next year though.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hydrangea's usally take a break every other year or so, depends on the varity, but they all do it the exception I believe is Oak Hydrangea's.  Next year it will most likley have lots of blooms again.

Esteemed Contributor

I have 3 and only a few blooms all together.  Last year they were gorgeous!!!  With the heat and the heavy rains, none of my flowers are doing well.  Hopefully next year will be better!

Esteemed Contributor

@grandma r and @Silver Fox1. I'm thinking your both right .  I remember when I first planted them 4 yrs ago the first year only green,  no blooms .  Then the following year a lot if blooms ,  the next just a few between the two.  Last year they were loaded with beautiful blooms all summer and into fall.  So I guess it's the off year plus the weather has been rainy and also was very , very Hot! I guess seeing that they are green and large means there still ok just nit blooming much.   I look forward to next year !😺