Esteemed Contributor

Re: Hydrangea not many blooms

I've had a similar problem with mine this year.  No blooms (that I've seen) and little growth in general.

I suspect deer; but maybe it's weather.

Next year...maybe it will be different.

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

@Kitty Galore  It's been a weird year weather-wise for most of the US. I'd guess it is an environmental issue and your hydrangeas will be find in 2019.

Sorry about the red maple. They are such an attractive landscaping addition. Glad you have replaced it.

@BirkiLady  I think your right it probably is environmental,  next year I'm sure they will be blooming again 😀.  Yes the red maple we had was just beautiful.  It just couldn't make it through the harsh winter and then the warm , then back to cold again that we had this past spring.  we hold out hope for this newly planted tree.  I've always loved red maple in a garden area ,  sets it off so nicely 🍁

Respected Contributor

Deer definitely one of my issues. Limbs cut all around.
Respected Contributor

I have all but given up on getting hydrangea to bloom.  I've tried for years.  The only species that bloom for me is a hydrangea tree and a lace cap.

Otherwise no matter on various placements and experimentation I never get blooms, just beautiful foliage.

Honored Contributor

@Pook wrote:

I have a blue hydrangea bush that I just got and planted late last summer.  It didn't appear to be alive after winter but quickly grew to about 2 feet and full and green - but no blooms in spite of fertilizing according to the instructions that came with it.  I did notice that other people who have the blue had only a few blooms or none at all.  The white ones were green and small.  I don't know what I can do to ensure blooms next year though.

It is settling in & putting down roots. It will probably bloom next year for you. Since it was planted in late summer last year, it had bloomed already in the container. Give it another year.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kitty Galore wrote:

@ValuSkr wrote:

Could you have pruned it at the wrong time?  It makes a difference, depending on the type of hydrangea.  When I had them, I took a safe but lazy approach.  I'd prune them in early summer, when it was easy to tell which branches were dead / unlikely to bear flowers.

@ValuSkr  I cut them all the way didn't each year to about 8"   We were told the variety we have grows on the old wood so they are to be cut right didn't.  We cover then lightly with burlap.  It was a very rough winter though this past year.  Plus the summer has been very, very hot .  We lost our red maple that used to give them both dappled sun so that they weren't getting direct sun.  We replaced the red maple so  it isnt as large still so the one that gets more sun isn't blooming as much .  i guess that could be what's going on😕

@Kitty Galore  Old wood bloomers shouldn't be cut down, as then the new growth would not produce blooms so this year, don't cut them back, unless you need to shape them.  Some hydrangeas can grow bloom on old and new wood, so those can be pruned to shape at any time, but don't cut off buds that will be next years blooms.