Respected Contributor

We have been busy in the garden after receiving an order from the Rhodo Society...mostly Rhodos and Azaleas.

Today I was in town and noticed the Costco garden centre opened,  Of course, I had to check it out.  I found the hydrangea Game Changer and it is lovely.  It I supposed to be a long time bloomer from early Spring to Fall.  I put it in the ground this afternoon.  I am in Zone 5.

Here is a photo..

24FCE00F-1843-4B40-AA06-FEC7FD9D6619.jpeg

Description below...

Description:
The Game Changer series are the first day neutral Hydrangea macrophylla. All other cultivars initiate buds only when day length reaches the long summer hours. Without the requirement for this signal, the Game Changers will begin to bloom much earlier in the season with large lacecaps from late spring until fall! Plus they're hardy to zone 5! 'Pink' has gorgeous pink sterile florets with jagged edges around lacy pink fertile florets. In acidic soils flowers could exhibit lavender tones. Grows 4 feet tall by 3 feet wide. Very easy care and a vigorous grower.

The flowers are lovely.  They actually put me to mind of Satomi Dogwood.

What do you think?  LM

Honored Contributor

I think they ARE a game changer....so beautiful.  @Lilysmom1   I always enjoy your garden posts.

Respected Contributor

@Lilysmom1 This is a lovely specimen of hydrangea!  You will have a long time to enjoy their beauty if it will bloom into fall.  Thanks for posting.

Respected Contributor

@Lilysmom1, funny you posted this today since I just now placed an online order with Costco. Just didn't feel like driving there. It's a lovely plant. Now I want to plan a trip to Costco this week. I know the nice plants go quickly.

Esteemed Contributor

@Lilysmom1  Beautiful color, and what a bonus with such an early bloom! Thanks for the info!

Respected Contributor

Re: Hydrangea Game Changer

[ Edited ]

@PA Mom-mom @Etoile308 @Boomernichols @phoenixbrd Isn't it lovely?  It was in flower when I bought it and I looked it up because right beside it there was a gorgeous standard blue hydrangea (tree) that I was eyeing up.

I always look them up because they will sell stuff not suitable for outdoor planting in our zone.  Sure enough!  Mr Blue standard was an indoor plant not suitable for zone 5.

You would think after planting ten shrubs from our RHodo Society the last thing I would want to do it plant another.  Never mind, it was a must have.  The good thing to me is that it gets 3' X 3' or thereabouts and that is the perfect size for me now.  I have many mature shrubs so space is at a premium in the garden these days.

I gave DH a break this afternoon and dug the hole for this one myself!  Imagine colour from May to November!

@Etoile308 check soon.  You know what Costco is like...here today, gone tomorrow!  LM

PS, they have patented this shrub because of the long bloom.  Cool!

Esteemed Contributor

@Lilysmom1 

What a spectacular find. I'm very jealous. Smiley Happy 

I was at COSTCO today for another buy (a smart tv for a dumb person-me) and I didn't even stop to look at plants. I have the perfect spot for that shrub, but they probably won't have any by the time I get back to the store.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Honored Contributor

Does Costco have a good garden center?  What would you compare it to?  I'm not a member but am thinking about it - for other reasons, not gardening.

Esteemed Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

Does Costco have a good garden center?  What would you compare it to?  I'm not a member but am thinking about it - for other reasons, not gardening.

@ValuSkr 

It's probably going to depend on where your store is located ... but in general, the selection is limited, items sell out quickly, pricing and quality is very good. They have great garden accessories - like fabulous potting soils, hoses, tools, etc. Big sizes on everything ... as most COSTCO items are. I'm not sure I could compare it to any known garden center ... such a limited variety of plants are offered. But if you see something you like, you will probably be very happy w/the quality.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Respected Contributor

@kate2357 , I thought it was the perfect size too.  Not hard to find a spot to tuck it in and it appears to like more sun than most.  Filtered light is at a premium for me since I have planted many rhodos over the last couple of years.  LM