Valued Contributor

Re: Hundred and Hundreds Of Dollars On Flowers!

@Carmie wrote:

I am so sorry that happened.  I know first hand how frustrating it is to do all that work and spend a small fortune for nothing.

Last spring was too cold and our summer was too wet.  We had a really bad growing season.  It sounds like you did too.

i planted  over 300 flower bulbs that were supposed to come up last spring....not one single bulb did.  I was disappointed and just put a bunch of tan bark down..I didn't plant anything else in that spot.

From now on I think I will just buy annuals and plant them in pots.  They are easier to maintain and I can move them indoors if it gets too cold or windy or too hot.  They only last one season, but they are less expensive and put on a big show all summer long.

Now, if only I can keep the deer out of my yard.  They have been chewing all of my shrubs down to the roots.  Right now the shrubs in the front of my house are staked and burlap covered.  Those dang deer even will eat holly bushes that are prickly.  So far so good.  They haven't removed the burlap....yet.

Having dealt with deer and rodents in my garden, I can empathize with you.... One year I planted several bulbs .... looked outside and notice the squirells were having a feast... also the deer will dig them up, they especially like iris, crocus,tulip and yes, daffodil bulbs...and the voles (little mice-like animals) and the moles will eat bulbs.

Two years ago, I planted some daffodil bulbs near my deck... went inside, looked out and there was a big squirell sitting on the railing just munching away... they were watching me plant those bulbs.... they're smart and know when to get a quick treat!

When we lived in an area with deer, we had to fence everything!...they usually leave the shrubs, etc. alone after they get so big, but you have to keep them fenced until then..

Here, we live with rabbits... still have to fence everything!... animals are cute/pretty, but can be destructive..

Weather, on the other hand,.. can't do anything, unfortunately...

Hope you all have a nice day!

Trusted Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 were they Q flowers? 

I've found my flowers from Q take a Loooonnng time to "catch."  They claim flowers first year.  I've found they grow but it takes at least 2-3 years.  I have two hydrangeas that are going on 2 years that will come up this year and my myer lemon tree didn't produce for the first 2 years.  I almost tossed it.  I think it's about 11-12 years old now and I have at least 10 lemons left right now (I've used up many of them.)

As far as annuals...I wait until the local big box is getting rid of them.  I paid only $1 for each flat of 6 or for each proven winner I bought.  I know it sounds cheap, but I did my house front, back, and pool level for under $30.  Had some hangers too.  Not ever paying Q price for annuals, that's crazy.  

Honored Contributor

We buy all our plants and flowers locally. We plant the annuals after Memorial Day and plant them in pots. The deer won't walk on the patio so they stay safe. If I leave the pots on the grass then they get eaten.

We have a lot of Hostas which the deer love. I spray deer be gone or some such spray and it works. The deer stay away.

They do nibble on the Holly tree though.

Honored Contributor

Buy locally & plant when ground isn’t frozen. 

If you buy online, buy from reputable nurseries — check gardenwatchdog dot com for which ones are reliable. 

Those reliable nurseries will always send you plants when it’s safe to plant in your area, not before. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]
@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

Just as the title says, I spent hundreds and hundreds of dollars last year on flowers.

Now ask me how many survived....that would be none!  Yepper, none.

I didn't plant them.  I had someone plant them who normally can grow anything.  SHE planted them and none of them survived more than a month or two.

Now tell me I can get replacement flowers....go ahead..

Well, some of them WERE replacement flowers and some (many) were those I bought last year.  They just did not grow.

I got them way too early for where I live.  They couldn't be planted because it was too cold and the ground was hard.  Then putting them in the garage....they still died.

Ugh!  It's very difficult trying to keep track of the plants once you plant them.  My friend tried to keep track of which was which one.

She felt so bad.  Blamed herself but she had nothing to do with them dying.  So far, I've only bought a few of them.

They'll die anyway, you just wait.  Doom and gloom.  I have a black thumb even though I didn't even plant the @@#$ things.

I've had to change the channel.  Can't watch them.

@Annabellethecat66 

Cottage Farms and/or Roberta’s?  Correct growing zone?

Why not consider faux plants?

Or, purchase your live plant material by supporting your local garden shops and nurseries.

Good luck.

Respected Contributor

Thank you so much for taking the time to detail this for everyone. I have often wondered but have only ordered a couple of things last year and they didn’t make it but I am in Texas and weather is extreme. I have placed an order this weekend they waitlisted but I am going to cancel now. 

Its difficult to know because they display everything so beautifully but as they say — if it sounds too good to be true it probably is.

Have you tried advising them of your situation? That is a lot of money and you are obviously a good customer and if I were them I would try and do something nice for you.

good luck and better days are in the way.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The deer and rabbits have gotten bad around here in the last one or two years.  I suppose it's the knock-on effect of area development.  I enjoy gardening but don't like the stress of finding eaten plants and spending a small fortune on animal repellents.  This may be the year I let the animals eat to the hearts' content.  I'll garden with whatever's left.  Smiley Sad  Even the squirrels have gotten nasty - uprooting plants in containers and throwing them overboard.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

Just as the title says, I spent hundreds and hundreds of dollars last year on flowers.

Now ask me how many survived....that would be none!  Yepper, none.

I didn't plant them.  I had someone plant them who normally can grow anything.  SHE planted them and none of them survived more than a month or two.

Now tell me I can get replacement flowers....go ahead..

Well, some of them WERE replacement flowers and some (many) were those I bought last year.  They just did not grow.

I got them way too early for where I live.  They couldn't be planted because it was too cold and the ground was hard.  Then putting them in the garage....they still died.

Ugh!  It's very difficult trying to keep track of the plants once you plant them.  My friend tried to keep track of which was which one.

She felt so bad.  Blamed herself but she had nothing to do with them dying.  So far, I've only bought a few of them.

They'll die anyway, you just wait.  Doom and gloom.  I have a black thumb even though I didn't even plant the @@#$ things.

I've had to change the channel.  Can't watch them.

@Annabellethecat66   I always put very small plants in pots until they are strong enough for the ground, and the pots can be used over and over, amazon sells all sizes of garden pots, I use the one gallon or smaller black nursery pots.

Honored Contributor

So, I started going through the pile of papers in a plastic bag.  Guess what they were.....look at the title!

I can't begin to count how many pages and pages, just from last year.

It wouldn't be nearly as frustrating except I paid someone to plant them....

Well, Spring will be here soon...since none of them flowered or did anything, I'll be interested in seeing if anything comes back up....  I'm not blaming...just very, very (and add a few more very's) frustrated....

To be continued.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ptagirl wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

I am so sorry that happened.  I know first hand how frustrating it is to do all that work and spend a small fortune for nothing.

Last spring was too cold and our summer was too wet.  We had a really bad growing season.  It sounds like you did too.

i planted  over 300 flower bulbs that were supposed to come up last spring....not one single bulb did.  I was disappointed and just put a bunch of tan bark down..I didn't plant anything else in that spot.

From now on I think I will just buy annuals and plant them in pots.  They are easier to maintain and I can move them indoors if it gets too cold or windy or too hot.  They only last one season, but they are less expensive and put on a big show all summer long.

Now, if only I can keep the deer out of my yard.  They have been chewing all of my shrubs down to the roots.  Right now the shrubs in the front of my house are staked and burlap covered.  Those dang deer even will eat holly bushes that are prickly.  So far so good.  They haven't removed the burlap....yet.

Having dealt with deer and rodents in my garden, I can empathize with you.... One year I planted several bulbs .... looked outside and notice the squirells were having a feast... also the deer will dig them up, they especially like iris, crocus,tulip and yes, daffodil bulbs...and the voles (little mice-like animals) and the moles will eat bulbs.

Two years ago, I planted some daffodil bulbs near my deck... went inside, looked out and there was a big squirell sitting on the railing just munching away... they were watching me plant those bulbs.... they're smart and know when to get a quick treat!

When we lived in an area with deer, we had to fence everything!...they usually leave the shrubs, etc. alone after they get so big, but you have to keep them fenced until then..

Here, we live with rabbits... still have to fence everything!... animals are cute/pretty, but can be destructive..

Weather, on the other hand,.. can't do anything, unfortunately...

Hope you all have a nice day!

@ptagirl  I have squirrels too.  And rabbits sometimes.  Whenever I plant something, I sprinkle Repels All granules around it.  In the raised beds, I sprinkle it around the outside of the boxes.  

Critters especially like the freshly worked dirt.  A little later they don't bother.

If I think I still need the "protection," I'll sprinkle more Repels All, especially after rain.

Available at garden centers, Walmart, ACE Hardware.

Keepin' it real.