Honored Contributor

Here in Southern NJ (Salem county) they typically show up when the azaleas are in bloom. We get an early surge of them, then they largely disappear for a few weeks before we get them regularly in the summer months. It seems like we get two waves of them. The first wave follows the azaleas north, then a later wave comes a few weeks later and hangs around until fall.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Contributor

I'm putting my feeders out 4/14 in Central KY.  Can't wait for the hummers to return!

Honored Contributor

I have hummers year round in WA state. Now they are doing  battle over the females so lots of zooming and acrobatics,  and I have to fill the feeder a few times a week.

Respected Contributor

I use this map for tracking ruby throat hummers:

https://www.hummingbirdcentral.com/hummingbird-migration-spring-2019-map.htm

In Northern Ohio, our first sighting in 2018 was on April 30.

For Baltimore Orioles:

https://maps.journeynorth.org/map/?year=2019&map=oriole-first-baltimore

In Northern Ohio, our first sighting in 2018 was on May 3. 

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

I just put out two feeders but it’s freezing here so I’m sort of half hoping I won’t have any business yet.

We’ll see............

Honored Contributor

😡. When I said yesterday that it was “freezing” here, I WAS SPEAKING FIGURATIVELY.

GUESS WHAT? Both my feeders have FROZEN  overnight.

There are times when I can’t figure out why anyone volunteers to live in Jersey.

But SUPPOSEDLY it will be beautiful tomorrow, so I’ll give the feeders a couple days as they are, and if they look the slightest bit murky after they melt, I’ll refill them.

Keep the Faith, Hummer Hunters. I’m SURE they’re headed our way!

Honored Contributor

Still nobody. Too cold! Hoping for the forecasted warm-up this week!

Honored Contributor

My azaleas aren't close to flowering yet and that's when the hummers typically arrive. They need nectar to survive, so they have to wait for more flowers then follow the flowers northward.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

I just put my  2 hummingbird feeders out this week, and saw 1 birdie so far😃.  I live in central Florida .

Contributor

Re: Hummingbirds - NJ & NY

[ Edited ]

d@meem120 wrote:

If you log on to Hummingbirds.net, you can track their migration on the map.

Sadly, Lanny chambers is no longer posting the migration map due to a problem with google but you can track migration at Journey North: 

https://maps.journeynorth.org/map/?year=2019&map=hummingbird-ruby-throated-first

I am in western NY just outside of Niagara Falls and I usually put up one feeder around the end of April even tho I don’t usually see my first hummer until the 10th-13th of May.  Some years if spring warmth comes early I will hang a feeder early to help those moving further north since there isn’t much available in the way of natural food for them early in the season. Once i know that they are in the general area I will add feeders as necessary and I will hang up my grape jelly feeder for the Orioles.

Those of you in NJ and the eastern half of NY, you will probably see your first hummer around mid to late April so if I was further east I would suggest that you hang at least one feeder now. Even if they are still heading northward up to Maine, Mass, NH, RI and even Canada finding a feeder along their journey will help them tremendously.