Esteemed Contributor

Would you kindly send an alert when you see the Hummers in your neighborhood?   Rolling towards April - with snow predicted - can't recall if it's the second week of April or little later when they arrive.  Of course, it depends on the weather everywhere.  I want to have food ready for them - robins and red winged blackbirds are back.   Thanks

Esteemed Contributor

I'm in VA but thanks for jogging my memory - I need to pick up sugar tomorrow!

I don't know for sure when I'll see them but I mistook a big 'ol carpenter bee today for a hummer.  At any rate, I need to be ready.🐝

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

Re: Hummingbirds - NJ & NY

[ Edited ]

@fthunt wrote:

Would you kindly send an alert when you see the Hummers in your neighborhood?   Rolling towards April - with snow predicted - can't recall if it's the second week of April or little later when they arrive.  Of course, it depends on the weather everywhere.  I want to have food ready for them - robins and red winged blackbirds are back.   Thanks

@fthunt   In our area in eastern Nebraska, I don't put feeders out til the last week of April.

For years I used this site map to watch the migration unfold in real time as folks posted their sightings. Unfortunately, the last time was last year. It has been discontinued but you can still use it as a reference guide for approx times. I also added another site's link below...HTH Smiley Happy

http://www.hummingbirds.net/map.html

And here is a real time migration map at 'Journey North' for this year with the sightings reported so far...

https://maps.journeynorth.org/map/?year=2019&map=hummingbird-ruby-throated-first

Trusted Contributor

Our first Hummingbird came today in Northwest Ga. I have had a feeder out for two weeks. As the season progresses I put 4 more feeders out. We get a lot and each year more seem to come to our yard. I love watching them. Last year and the year before I actually watched two of them Mate. So cute the dance they do before mating.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Eyewitness to mating........now that's something LOL

I put out only one feeder but they seem to zero right to it every year.  I think they see all the bird activity in my yard - which helps.  If you're in GA they have many miles ahead of them.  Brave and strong little buggers aren't they.

Esteemed Contributor

@fthunt , I record their arrival and departure here in Nova Scotia every year.  They usually arrive mid May.  LM

Honored Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

I arbitrarily go with April 1, so ours will be up tomorrow morning. I’ll post as soon as we see some action...... (north central NJ).

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks ladies - I should write dates down - will try to this year. 

Signed:   holding bag of sugar!

Trusted Contributor

@fthunt  I live in western NY, and usually see the little guys mid May, will let you know when I see them.  I can't wait to see the Hummingbirds and my beautiful Orioles.

Respected Contributor

If you log on to Hummingbirds.net, you can track their migration on the map.