Esteemed Contributor

My feeder is out.  The hummers have arrived in Nova Scotia.  I hope they brought winter wear.  It has been a very cool wet spring.  Our daffodils have not bloomed yet.  LM

Trusted Contributor

@tipsyWhat interesting information about hummers - I had never heard that! Thank you for sharing.

@MoJoVReporting to you from northern California -- feeders are out and ready, but no hummingbirds yet! But...We are ready for the little darlings. (Our friends in Southern California get hummingbirds all year long - they are so lucky!)

@jackthebearLaughing out loud! Yes, we had a wet, cold, miserable first four months of the year - let's hope the little fellas bring their down jackets and scarves!  That image is TOO FUNNY!!! 

Trusted Contributor

@tipsyYOU are so lucky - year-round hummers!! I AM SO JEALOUS!!! Enjoy those little miracles of nature. I was born and raised in Westwood, CA so I remember those dodging, swooping hummingbirds as one of the best things about SoCal living. WHY did we move up to NorCal!?!?!?

Respected Contributor
I'm in central Florida...I put up two feeders...I'm only seeing a couple of hummingbirds. One has a yellow ring around the neck...not sure the sex or if there's a specific breed. I'll check. May be early yet because I had ALOT more last summer.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Hummingbird sightings?

[ Edited ]

1st hummingbird today, about an hour ago!

I put out the feeder in front of our picture window today.

I also put out oriole feeders.  They always try to feed at the hummingbird feeders.

5/11 1st oriole sighting! twice at feeder  taking jelly, not the orange. He's been back twice!

Honored Contributor

Re: Hummingbird sightings?

[ Edited ]

@Sweetbay magnolia 

Once in the Hot Hot Summer, I was carrying out feeders, and one buzzed to directly in front of my nose, and flew backward there until I made it to the shepard's hook!

Mid/Central NC, we have batallions of them, I think they are Magical.

So great to hear about everyone's sightings.

BTW ~ the Males are called BULLS, wonder why?  Smiley Wink

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Valued Contributor

@MarnieRez3  I am in north Orange County near Long Beach.  I lived in San Francisco for 3 years back in the 70's & LOVED it!  Northern CA is beautiful too....

Did you get to see any of the baby Painted Ladies on their way to Oregon?  (I think that's where they went)...they were SO cute!

Trusted Contributor
No!! I wasn't lucky enough to see them on their pilgrimage up North, @tipsy, but they were photographed by the local papers...and on the TV news.
They looked soooo adorable!!
Trusted Contributor
@tipsy
Yes, that's what they were called here too...although I'm not sure that's their real "technical" butterfly name. So colorful in all the photos I saw.
Respected Contributor

Our hummingbirds have been here about two weeks. We live in Missouri. I have filled the feeder twice.