Respected Contributor

Hummingbird feeders next to birdhouses or seed feeders?

I'm enjoying seeing my hummers all day on a feeder I have off my back lanai.   I just purchased another feeder, hummzinger, and I'm contemplating where to put it.  So I'm thinking outside my bedroom window might be nice.  I'd like your opinions on whether one of those double Shepard hooks would work.   Suppose I put the hummingbird feeder on one side, and how about a birdhouse, for other birds on the other?    I did read a bird seeder for wild birds night scare the hummers off.  But maybe a finch seed may work.  So what's your thoughts...a seeder or a birdhouse?  Or just forget the double hook and use a single for hummer feeder?

I have a single in my back that very close to my wild bird feeders, and no problem .

Trusted Contributor

Re: Hummingbird feeders next to birdhouses or seed feeders?

I have a couple of the hummzinger feeders on 2 single hooks on my deck. I have birdfeeders as well but they are quite a distance from the hummingbird feeders.  I read where regular birds may scare off the hummingbirds. 

Respected Contributor

I think the rule of thumb is to keep hummingbird feeders at least 6 feet away from any seed feeders....so I'd use a single sheperd's hook.

Happy bird watching! Smiley Happy

Muddling through...
Esteemed Contributor

I agree with last poster.......never put HB feeder close to another HB feeder nor close to seed eating birds.  Never 

Trusted Contributor

@Dazlin ~ I've always heard that hummingbirds don't like to be crowded and prefer to have their feeders apart from other feeders.  We have ours outside our front window on a double shepherds hook.  On the other side of the feeder is a hanging basket full of (red) flowers that hummingbirds love.

Good luck with your new feeder ~ and thank you for feeding the hummingbirds!  :-)

Respected Contributor

I have read that hummingbirds are very territorial .. that they will even

knock another hummgingbird out of the way to get to a feeder ....

Respected Contributor

Thank you all.😊 you guys are so right on😁
Julie...love the idea about a planter. I have a lantana in the back next to hummer feeder, and I see they go for it. Maybe I can do a double shepherd's hook with a flowering plant on one side.
Esteemed Contributor

@Dazlin, we have our hummingbird feeder on a shepherds hook with no problem.  We have a crystal hanging ornament on the second hook.  I think the hummers might be bothered by other feeders.  Lately our woodpeckers have been drinking from the hummer feeder.  The hummers are not amused and are divebombing the woodpeckers.  Quite a sight!  LM

Respected Contributor

I picked a double shepherd's hook today, and hanging flower basket with red and white impatiens. I'm deciding where the best spot to place it is. Will set it up tomorrow. I have woodpeckers that devour the birdseed, but the hummers dont seem to bothered by them. I've got 3 bird feeders, and one hummer feeder, all off my back lanai. Great spot, we see them all day from my family room and kitchen. Probably going to set up this new one back there too...few feet away
Esteemed Contributor

@Dazlin, the hummers will love those flowers!  LM