Honored Contributor

I knew Roberta's was sneaky, telling us how easy it is to grown their exotic imports adapted to specific climatic conditions.  Now they're hawking what appears to be the common extremely invasive Trumpet vine and calling it Hummingbird vine.  If this stuff gets established in your yard it will be all over and you'll never get rid of it.  Beware of M43419.  They should be ashamed of themselves. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

Re: Hummingbird Vine Or ??????

@Kachina624: I have a trumpet vine I planted years ago. Hasn't meandered anywhere. It's behaving itself.

Honored Contributor

Mine,  when I had one,  put up shoots all over the yard.  It even went under a cement slab patio and came up in the crack between the patio and the house foundation about 25ft away.  I've also heard of it finding a tiny crack in a house and going inside.  It's impossible to get rid of it due to its expansive root system and all the offshoots it's capable of producing from its meandering roots.   I've heard if you want to get rid of it, sell the house. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624: Well, that's scary. Will keep a close eye but, really haven't seen anything sprouting anywhere that shouldn't. Thanks for the heads up.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 @Sadiesadie

I think Kachina is probably spot on. I just read an article about this plant and it mentions keeping it away from buildings and walkways. It also says that it sends roots out by runners and refers to it as the hummingbird plant. @Sadiesadie, I wonder if you might have a different plant or variety of the plant?

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

There are different varieties of the trumpet vine.

And there is one I know for sure that is very invasive.   campis radicans

I see it growing wild and always wanted it in my yard.

I didn't want it to overtake my yard and be a nuisance.

I purchased one from an online nursery and had it for many years, I trained it to grow up a dead tree that had been cut down to about 15 feet.   it did great and it stayed on the tree.  It developed a trunk and seemed very healthy but I lost it last year.    Partly due to age and partly the drought.

If you know the exact name of the vine, you can search to see which one it is.

But either way, it does need some attention each year to train it to go where you want it to go.

@Kachina624

Esteemed Contributor

PS: The article also suggested planting this in a large barrel to keep the roots from running.

mickey-run.gif

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Esteemed Contributor

Trumpet Vine is known as "the kudzu of the Midwest" around here.  Garden shops are not allowed to stock it or sell it.   @pattypeep, I chuckled at your "planting in a large barrel" comment.  I imagine the Trumpet Vine's roots blasting thru the wood barrel and crawling out like a pile of snakes.

From what I understand, Trumpet (Hummingbird) vine is more invasive in some parts of the country than others - climate, rainfall, etc.   It may even be safe to grow in some states, but I doubt it.   I'm always shocked when I see Roberta's selling it on QVC.  There should be a disclaimer on the screen when it's being shown.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

I think Trumpet Vine is Campsis radicans. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

@tototwo  That comment came from the article I was reading. It's not my suggestion.