Esteemed Contributor

Re: Hummingbird Vine Or ??????

@pattypeep ~ I'm sorry if it seemed I was chuckling at you - I was not.  That barrel comment, whether it was yours or someone else's, struck me as funny.  The comment was funny to me.    A gardening group that I belong to make jokes that, in reality, there is only one trumpet vine in the whole world.  Its taproot is sooo big, it goes to the center of the earth and keeps our planet from collapsing.  All the other trumpet vines in the whole world are just offshoots of that one gigantic root.  "The Trumpet Vine That Ate Chicago" horror movie kind of thing. 

(silly garden humor)

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Valued Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I knew Roberta's was sneaky, telling us how easy it is to grown their exotic imports adapted to specific climatic conditions.  Now they're hawking what appears to be the common extremely invasive Trumpet vine and calling it Hummingbird vine.  If this stuff gets established in your yard it will be all over and you'll never get rid of it.  Beware of M43419.  They should be ashamed of themselves. 

I totally agree.  I had a trumpet vine in my yard at one of our previous homes.  It was beautiful, BUT...That thing shot roots all over my yard.  It was even climbing up behind the siding of the house.  I had it planted near a trellis about 8 ft. away from the house...what a mistake!. 

Was fighting it constantly..digging, pruning, pulling..and it wasn't even that old.  We finally did sell the house, and I always wondered if the new owners ever got rid of it...NEVER AGAIN!!!...as bad as regular day lilies...same thing!! (had those things, too)..

Esteemed Contributor

I wonder if it's a matter of climate/zone.
In zone 5 we plant morning glories, but they're considered rampant weeds in my sister's southwest state, and seeds aren't available in her state.
I've seen only a few beautiful mature trumpet vines survive here in zone 5, but if they're invasive in your area I can totally relate. There are plants I've been digging up and poisoning for years,
Honored Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:
I wonder if it's a matter of climate/zone.
In zone 5 we plant morning glories, but they're considered rampant weeds in my sister's southwest state, and seeds aren't available in her state.
I've seen only a few beautiful mature trumpet vines survive here in zone 5, but if they're invasive in your area I can totally relate. There are plants I've been digging up and poisoning for years,

Seeds might not be available in your sister's state because morning glories are related to jimson weed which if the seeds are ingested is an hallucinogenic.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

Ive seen jimson weed growing in peoples' front yards here.  I don't think people even know what it is.   It can be quite attractive.  It's the stuff cattle can get into resulting in erratic behavior so ranchers call it locoweed.  It has large, white trumpet shaped flowers.   Heaven forbid kids should try experimenting with it. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment