Esteemed Contributor

I'm in Northern VA and we saw our first hummer today.

I raced and put the feeder up.  They nest in a tree in the yard, every year.

I've seen yellow swallowtail butterfiles too.  Strange early and unseasonably hot April!

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

Re: Hummingbird Sighting 2023

Looking at the sighting map before I went on vacation early March, they had been sighted fairly nearby south of my, so I vowed to put the feeder out when we got back from vacation. Of course, I forgot for a couple of weeks when I started seeing the Buckeyes bloom.  I had read they follow the Buckeyes blooming, so I did remember at that point to put my feeder out.  Funny, I have a Buceye tree I planted in my yard, but it blooms about a week or two after the locals bloom.  Guess I have a more northern species.  

I have yet to actually see or even hear any hummers, but the food is either being used or is dripping out as it is disappearing.  In fact I need to bring the feeder in tonight and clean it to put out tomorrow.  I don't often see the at the feeder as I don't have a good place to put it where I can actually just sit and watch it, so I have to rely on the occasional fly-by or hearing their chatter most of the time.  Sometimes, I'll see them in the pollinator garden.  I do see a lot of them in fall when they migrate through and fight over the feeder.

Sadly, I found more plants that didn't survive December's Arctic Blast even though they were well within the range, not even on the cusp.  I'm going to have to do some re-populating of it.  May go to one of the local nurseries tomorrow and look even though the bed is not ready yet.  That's what the greenhouse is for.  

Esteemed Contributor

You are quite the gardner, @Icegoddess !

It would make sense that the hummers would like a red buckye bloom.  There are different species, yes.  I could never keep them straight.

It was just a lovely moment - DH and I sitting on the porch, and the whirrr of something larger than a bumble bee flew by.

Cogito ergo sum
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Gardening is my "thing".  I can't say I'm good at it or have a green thumb, but I enjoy doing it.  I would rather be outside working in the yard any day vs housework.  Wish we had better soil here; heavy clay full of rocks and roots. 

Valued Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia   I have hummers all year long at my house. I really enjoy them. Boy do I go through the sugar!  Its gotten expensive. 

Respected Contributor

The hummers are late here this year.  We have had a feeder out for about 4 weeks and just got a small male hummer feeding last week.  Haven't seen more birds and that is unusual.  The little male is continuing to visit so that is good.  

I live in upstate SC.

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sweetbay magnolia There are reports of sightings here in Nova Scotia which is really early.  I record their arrival and departures each year.  They usually are not here til May 12-15.  I put the feeder out just in case.

The weather here has been unusual @Icegoddess .  The polar vortex did its thing here too.  Took all my Heather.  I planted two new ones this week and two new rhodos.  I have been moving hardier shrubs for a few weeks while they are dormant.

I had to move shrubs in 90 degree heat during an excavator job last year.  Not a good idea but it looks like they made it through winter.  While I enjoy the milder winters, the freeze/thaw cycles and polar vortex behaviour causes havoc in the garden!  

I am off to the nursery today.  LM

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

i put out 2 feeders the other day - they usually arrive the 3rd week in April. most of the day i can see them on the feeder by a big window.

so far, the nectar is at the same level.  stuck a jewelbox in another window. nada...

hummingbird migration map indicates they are in the area (southern New England).

Ed. to add: one just arrived !!   a little guy!