Esteemed Contributor

Hummers.........On The Road Again

After drinking 5 lbs of my sugar slush....hummers have begun the move South.  Shorter days seems to trigger the change.  I'm getting a kick at ....one by one they.... seem to be saying 'good bye' and 'thanks' as they hover outside my screened porch or kitchen window. 

A little fighting going on when a newie (one that didn't spend the summer here).....moves in for a drink on flight through.

Sad to see them go - they came late in the Spring due to wet conditions - but more appeared later.  Almost daily trips to replenish the 'juice'.

Bye..........see you in the Spring!

(sniff)

Super Contributor

Re: Hummers.........On The Road Again

I know just how you feel I still have my few little Hummers out here I live in Kansas. My Orioles have gone obviously my yellow and gray warblers have gone now………… I have my Hummers for just a few short weeks. Then I have all my gray titmice and my Carolina wrens and my Cardinals. It's so quiet now. I love the spring because the tanagers and all the aforementioned are here and it's just fantastic to listen to them all .....the backyard is a buzz with them we live with the woods all around us but when it gets to be late August and hot like it is they all seem to go. I miss them just like you do

Esteemed Contributor

I am in the northeast and we have our hummingbirds generally until at least Labor day or later.   Right now they are still very active here, it is sad though when they leave.  They are such an interesting little bird.

Honored Contributor

Birds not trucks! OH!  

Odd because I saw a Hummer yesterday coming home from the bank and thought you don't see many of those around any more.  And at one time they were THE thing to drive around here!

Esteemed Contributor

We have some year round here, but this year there were fewer.  Miss them.  Only thing entertaining out the kitchen sick window usually.

Honored Contributor

@LindaSal wrote:

I am in the northeast and we have our hummingbirds generally until at least Labor day or later.   Right now they are still very active here, it is sad though when they leave.  They are such an interesting little bird.

@LindaSal  Where in the NE are you? I am on NY/No border and I never see them.

Esteemed Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ  Hi there, I am in RI close to the Mass border.   We have them every summer here Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@LindaSal wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ  Hi there, I am in RI close to the Mass border.   We have them every summer here Smiley Happy

@LindaSal  Thanks! Love RI.

Esteemed Contributor

I still have plenty of hummers around my feeders here in the St. Louis area. They usually don't start leaving until the end of September.

Esteemed Contributor

I've noticed more hummers at my feeders this week here in Ohio...

They are on the move....