Respected Contributor

Re: Hummers.........On The Road Again

I am in SE VA and it has been so hot and rainy here, I took my feeder down.  I was afraid to sicken the little guys with spoiled nectar.  I miss them!

Respected Contributor

I noticed just this week they're not feeding as often, but seeing them flying around. I keep fresh nectar out, and often clean the feeders, so im not sure what's going on. Last year they left end of August, so maybe they're getting ready for flight...seems so soon. I am in central Florida, and its HOT HOT here yet. If they leave now, I believe its only about 3 1/2 months...they arrived in May. Im seeing them around my feeders, but taking flight, I hope they stay longer.
Honored Contributor

Look forward to their arrival every Spring!  It is sad to see them leave, know the cold is on the way.

We have them into the fall, mostly the females, and yearlings who need to build up a bit for the trip, and the arrivals from the north.

What amazing gifts they are!      

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

They are definetly on the move...I have double the amount of Hummers here and I have to fill my feeders every other day....

Occasional Contributor

We have 2 now 3 female Ruby-Throated Hummingbirds vying for our feeder.  They hang out in the dogwood most of the day and hit the feeder throughout the day.  IMG_2930.jpgIMG_2935.jpg

Highlighted
Super Contributor

I'm in southern NM and have been surprised at how many hummers have hung around here all Summer.  We usually see lots in early Spring heading north and in late Fall heading south ... a very small number usually hangs around through the Summer. This year, we've had at least 10-12 in the yard almost every day all Summer. I don't know if the local population had a baby boom or they're really liking the plants that have exploded in part of the garden ... what ever it is, I'm glad they're hanging around.

Respected Contributor

Haven't seen any more since last week.  Seems they're leaving earlier and earlier.  2 yrs ago they stayed through September,  then last year they left end of August,  and now mid August.   I wonder if it has anything to with storms brewing in Gulf??   Last year, a couple days before DORIAN they disappeared and didn't return after the storm,  which we in Florida did not get anyway.

Miss seeing them so active on my feeders☹

Trusted Contributor

@fthunt  I've noticed my Hummingbirds are dwindling in amount.  My Dad loved his Hummers and would always say that they leave on Labor Day, and he told me they would come to his picture window and nod as if to thank him for all the summer nectar he provided.  Very sweet memories for me.

Honored Contributor

My hummer stay all year.  At least 4 of them do.  I dont feed them.  The vet down testreet and a neighbor have huge hummer feeders, they go there.  I dontthink they ever liked my cooking, although th evet gave me the recipe  lol

Trusted Contributor

West Michigan here. Average last sighting in my area is around the 15th of this month, so we only have them around another week on average. I make them new syrup every 3 days and add a little more sugar to the mix for extra energy for them. They are very territorial now--guarding their food source. Just watched a special last night in PBS on hummers. It talked in part about about why they are that way. I noticed today that they are even fighting off yellow jackets. Always miss seeing them and hearing their high-pitched squeaky sound.