Frequent Contributor

IMG_0194.jpg

'Just had to share this easy growing and robust vine that is native to Australia. It has almost overtaken our dining room window, facing east. The flower cluster measures about 3 1/2" in diameter and is sweetly scented.

Honored Contributor

Re: Hoya australis 'Subspecies'

@1920712 

I would love to have the pleasure of seeing this beautiful sight every day!

I can almost smell it from here, thank you for sharing!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

I had one of these vines for years.  Exposed it to every conceivable growing situation, inside and out.  It never did bloom.  Walked into the living room of a home in Colorado and there in the window was a Hoya in full bloom.  First time I ever saw one in bloom.  Went home and threw mine out.  No more Hoyas.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Frequent Contributor

@Kachina624  'Guess that I've had this one for a little over a year. Some will bloom after they put on substantial growth. There are at least five more shoots in the process of developing flowers on this one. Like many flowers, they seem to bloom best if they are allowed to dry out some. From time to time, they also get some "Cactus Juice" which is calcium rich.....don't know if that produces blooms or not, but can certainly say that they like it and the leaves and growth seem to develop more with it. Really, I'm not an expert and just love plants. Hoyas are well loved here. I can't wait to get out in the garden!

Honored Contributor

@1920712    I bet the one I had, if unwound from its pole, would have been at least 50 ft long.  I thought maybe they had to be 100 years old to bloom.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Frequent Contributor

@Kachina624   Oh my word! 'Can't say for sure how long this one is, but it's gone back and forth on about a 6' window at least three times. I wonder if it was the same variety or another that you had. Although it's only been a couple of years since I've grown them. On one variety I read that it had to be about 7' long to bloom......course there are so many kinds of hoya ranging from miniature small ones to much larger. Once after I fed this one with the "cactus juice" it produced a new leaf that is 6"x4" long. Most of it's other leaves are about 4 1/2"x3". My mom used to grow them and she had a whole wall and walls full. They all bloomed.

Trusted Contributor

Congrats, @1920712 , that plant is a beauty!😍 I have one growing in the atrium that I'm hoping will bloom eventually.  Maybe the secret to success is that "cactus juice."😉

Frequent Contributor

@VegasBusinessWoman  Thank you for your kind words. It sounds like an atrium should be a fine place for a hoya. One of the others that has bloomed for us is hoya danumensis White Bells Hoya that comes from Borneo. Unfortunately I only photographed it in bud, but it's a beauty.

IMG_0066.jpg

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you all for your kind words, responses and replies!

Trusted Contributor

@1920712 wrote:

@VegasBusinessWoman  Thank you for your kind words. It sounds like an atrium should be a fine place for a hoya. One of the others that has bloomed for us is hoya danumensis White Bells Hoya that comes from Borneo. Unfortunately I only photographed it in bud, but it's a beauty.

IMG_0066.jpg

@1920712 Lovely to see even if it is only buds.