Honored Contributor

Re: How to ripen tomatoes?...plus, a funny thing happened to my apple trees

@Kachina624 

Apples emit ethylene gas.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee   Thanks, it's so handy having a chemist in the house. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@SilleeMee   Thanks, it's so handy having a chemist in the house. 

You're welcome @Kachina624 .Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

I always mention that if you are attempting to chill fall bulbs (6 weeks) at 32° in your fridge, do not put ripening fruit inside your fridge as the ethylene gas will kill those bulbs by destroying the flower inside. 

I had last fall many green tomatoes which did eventually ripen on the counter above our dishwasher.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The other day when I brought all tomatoes red but unripe and green inside are coming along on the counter.  I left quite a few small green tomatoes in the garden pot that I used to bring them inside then forgot to remove them, are turning red, so I guess they are liking where they are.

We ate one large red and it was good, but I am mourning the loss all of the huge red and green tomatoes that I didn't get to in time.

Respected Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten i know these are not exactly healthy eating but you could split the small tomatoes in half, dip them in batter, and have mini-fried green tomatoes. I just remembered I had them at the Texas State Fair and they were so good. The taste was sweeter than the traditional sliced fried green tomato.

Respected Contributor

Thank you all for your input. Oddly enough--maybe because of reading some of your posts--I got a hankering for bananas so I picked up one extra and it's now residing in a paper bag with my tomatoes. I can't wait for my first tomato sandwich. Not a BLT, just a nice, yummy, juicy tomato on the softest white bread I can find...with maybe a little Italian salad dressing and salt and pepper.

Two yummy snacks for the price of one!

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

"@GoneButNotForgotten Our local meteorologist who grew tomatoes as part of his garden said to pull them green and put them on the kitchen counter. They will ripen without doing anything other than giving them time. He had to harvest them before the birds started pecking away and destroying his ripe tomatoes."

That is what I have to do, pull them as soon as they even slightly start to ripen.  Otherwise the birds, bugs, and other critters start in on them.  They still taste delicious even ripened in the kitchen. 

Janet in Georgia
Respected Contributor

Our tomatoes are just starting to ripen. As soon as I see a little pink I put them on my window sill. They are good. I make a lettuce and tomato sandwich with them. Growing up there were all tomatoes on our sills. My Dad was a farmer.