Honored Contributor

How to get rid of voles or shrews eating our beets?

This is the first year DH put in beets and he harvested them a few days ago.  Almost all had been eaten, hollowed out leaving just the outside shell.  Neighbors suggested those little creatures that look like mice, not sure what they are called.  There was no evidence of any activity above ground, the leaves weren't eaten and the ground wasn't disturbed.  I'm trying to get him to be as organic as possible, so maybe a physical barrier of some sort? 

Respected Contributor

Re: How to get rid of voles or shrews eating our beets?

Voles are pesky critters and are protected in some states, so killing is out.

They look like blind mice w/catchers mitts on their hands. The catchers mitts have long nails good for tunneling. They eat grubs.

Our cocker spaniel Indy used to dig for these and yank them out of their burrows; there were several voles that saw Indy's muzzle as the last thing in this lifetime. We used to call him the Voleminator. I didnt encourage this behavior in Indy, it was instinctive.

Maybe there are some noise or sonic wave deterrants to drive them out of your garden. I'm sure beets, as tubers, were particularly attractive and sweet to creatures that live subterranean.

I'd lend out Indy but he is deceased from a cardiac arrest-he was a beautiful boy who we rescued.

Esteemed Contributor

Not much luck around here either.  Got a bunch of these voles and have had so much advice that did not work or even sound like it would work..... except one..... Snakes.  And I did notice we had a few snakes around and the voles seemed to diminish.  Personally I would rather have the voles. 

Honored Contributor

Cats find voles endlessly entertaining and great sport. If you've got stray cats in your area, they'll eventually find the voles and take great delight in eliminating the problem for you.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Previous years I purchased some bait traps from the local hardware store. They eat the bait and take it back to where they live and die. I've had a variety of other traps that also work but I really don't want to have to deal with checking traps and disposing of them. This year I found "sonic" pest control products. I really like these items because they are safe for indoor pets (dogs/cats) yet they keep the outdoor critters outdoors. I had a problem with the voles or "whatever" on my patio where the dogs are running. I purchases the sonic stakes that you push in the ground (battery operated) . They worked well enough for the vole problem. I still have an occasional problem with the chipmunks and squrirels  but those smaller critters have left my patio.,   

Honored Contributor

@depglass wrote:

This is the first year DH put in beets and he harvested them a few days ago.  Almost all had been eaten, hollowed out leaving just the outside shell.  Neighbors suggested those little creatures that look like mice, not sure what they are called.  There was no evidence of any activity above ground, the leaves weren't eaten and the ground wasn't disturbed.  I'm trying to get him to be as organic as possible, so maybe a physical barrier of some sort? 

@depglass  If I don't plant in pots, everything has to go into a wire basket in the ground to protect plants from moles, gophers, anything underground that chews on roots.  If I plant in large wooden vege boxes, the bottoms have to be lined with small holed chicken or other wire before dirt is placed on top.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Opossums will get rid of all of the pests.  Possum eat rats, mice, snakes, ticks, insects....everything you don't want.   They are busy at night and you put out cat food and fruit.   They are good workers for those with a garden.