New Contributor

How to get away with squirrels from farms?

[ Edited ]

I am expecting peanuts very soon from my farm but doesn’t seem to get a good yield this year. My land has  been affected by squirrels (ground squirrels I think). I have already tried many ways to get them off my land. It has been a pain in the neck since there are quite a number of them lurking around. I am really worried of my harvest this time. I am looking for an animal and pest control service and recently came across raccoon removal team from Toronto that takes care of squirrels as well. Have you got any experience with them?

Honored Contributor

Re: How to get away with squirrels from farms?

It seems squirrels are ubiquitous.  If you remove them, their relatives will move right in.  Are they eating peanuts in the ground, pulling up plants and all?

Honored Contributor

I was going to say deny them mortgages but with all the anti-discrimination laws on the books, I'm not sure that will work! Woman WinkWoman WinkWoman Wink

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

Pling, I don't know where's you are located but I would look locally for pest control companies with a proven track record.  No clue how to deter squirrels but I wish you well!  LM

Trusted Contributor

Could you try rubber snakes and plastic hawks/owls/cats?

Honored Contributor

I don't know a whole lot about peanut farming other than that peanuts develop underground but I wonder if it's at all practical, for next year, to put some sort of wiring underneath and around the field.  I imagine it would be a lot of work not to mention expensive, but that's all I can come up with without having to kill the ground squirrels.

Good luck with your crop.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.