Honored Contributor

Re: How often do you run your sprinklers?

Where I used to live we had to pay for water. It was VERY expensive. We really had to watch how much we watered our lawn. Where I live now is rural and I live on a lake. Our water is from the lake and is free. So we water every day. 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sprinkler folks came last week & installed a wireless rain sensor! No more worries if the speaker wire ever breaks! They attached a sensor receiver next to the clock & wired that in. Where the old sensor was, a wireless one was installed set to 1/4" rain.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

@Still Raining 

Thanks for your info.  It sounds like one needs to be knowledgeable about ones system.  My neighbor moved in two years ago but apparently does not know how his system is laid out or runs.  We have a section of yard next to his that has literally gotten swampy from his sprinkler.  I think he was running it every day when we told him of the issue.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

People should every month do a test run of each zone to see if all heads are operational. On our programmable clock, I have programmed the clock to do this:  I use the C section as the 2 minute default per zone. A section is for the odd day watering & B section is for even day watering. You need an even day section for those times you need 4X daily sprinkling of a lawn that is being established with either seed or sod. And on the C section it's generally off as is the B section. Sounds like your neighbor @Twins Mom  might have had the bypass sensor on vs. off or had that particular zone programmed too high. Watering needs vary from month to month from April thru October/November as well. It's not just a program once & forget it. 

Sometimes the lawn mowers that companies use, might break off the top & then you have geysers. Also running the zone for say 2 minutes, & you observing might give you a clue of any hose leaks. Certain trees as they grow could crush hoses and block the water flow.

Many towns have water restrictions such as odd even address day watering & during the day water restrictions (no 9 - 4 watering!) 

Best time to water is after midnight when the grass is wet from the dew. Watering before midnight & after 6PM could keep the grass too wet before it would dry off for the natural dew formation. Fungal fiseases could get a good foothold. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼