Contributor

Re: How much garden stuff do we need?

I never get enough of the garden shows. Always cheerful. Love, love, love my sloggers, sunhat, Mark Charles clippers, Grampa's Weeder, Cottage Farms Japanese irises & Roberta's Foxtail lillies, just to name a few garden items I have bought from QVC. I record and rewatch every garden show, especially Phillip Watson, whose garden advice and designs have been an inspiriation to me.

Contributor

Disagree. Keep garden shows coming! Saw some terrific new products on air yesterday: the planters with liners from Roxanne, the inserts for flower pots so you don't need so much soil, the portable raised beds, the very shap edging tool from Japan (although that one scared me) just to name a few.

Honored Contributor

@stets wrote:

Disagree. Keep garden shows coming! Saw some terrific new products on air yesterday: the planters with liners from Roxanne, the inserts for flower pots so you don't need so much soil, the portable raised beds, the very shap edging tool from Japan (although that one scared me) just to name a few.

@stets, the inserts for the flower pots was something to buy?  I saw one of the hosts mention cutting up a swimming noodle to do the same thing.  I sometimes use shipping peanuts in the bottom of my big pots.  

Trusted Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@stets wrote:

@stets, the inserts for the flower pots was something to buy?  I saw one of the hosts mention cutting up a swimming noodle to do the same thing.  I sometimes use shipping peanuts in the bottom of my big pots.  

Keep the garden shows coming...home shows too...I am not ashamed to say that I am sick to death of all the clothing and shoe shows. LOL

I use old broken pots inverted at the bottom of large containers to take up space instead of all that soil. Plastic works best..it's lighter and if you poke a few holes in the old pot, it helps with the water.

Super Contributor

I'll take daysof garden shows over days of fashion (to which two days each week are already devoted -- Monday and most of Friday. It's nice to see something different). And you only hae to put up with them in late winter and early spring. They pretty much disappear after that.

Super Contributor

@gmkb, I have that shovel, and it slices through the matted root systems of the green stuff that passes for grass in this part of Florida as well as the heavy sandy stuff that passes for soil. My hsuband wishes they'd sell the long-handled shovel as well.

I bought that garden cart two years ago (in purple, which I had to go on waitlist for), and it's gotten a lot of use. I was at our local Master Gardener spring festival in early March, hauling it around filled with plants, and I ran into three other people with the same cart, but in different colors and patterns. One woman looked at me and said "QVC?" I was surprised they didn't bring that one back, or the model they had last year. The one they have this year looks like the one Sam's sells for less $$$.

Honored Contributor

@kathya1119, zi'm not sure they still have it, but quite a while back I was looking at the long handled shovels on Amazon. Might check it out to see it they still have it.
"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

Although I have not watched any gardening programming this year, I normally do enjoy them. This year I am just so used to not turning on the Q, that even when I see it mentioned here on the forums, it just slips my mind to tune in. The first gardening day this season, at the end of the day, I did go to items recently on air, and bought some items I had seen in previous years and had not ordered, that I later wished I had. So I would be another who would say I like the gardening shows. If you are a gardener at all, you do need "stuff", or want it anyway, lol. To each their own, I really try not to go to other theme related sub-forums and complain about what the rest are enjoying.
"To each their own, in all things".
Contributor

I use old plastic water bottles in the bottoms of my large flower containers, but I still thought the pot inserts were a fine idea, too. Just make sure you get the right size, or it probably won't work.

Respected Contributor

"How much gardening stuff do we need?"------  Well, people enjoy gardening, sometimes it's a necessity, but it helps to have the proper tools, equipment and occasional new plants to perk up the landscape.  If a person does not have the proper tools, it sure can make things harder.

I like the gardening shows, but I have never bought a plant from QVC because we have many excellent nurseries in our area where plants are acclimated to this zone.  Also, very often the plants are too large or too many for an established landscape.  No room for 6 of some plant!  But I do enjoy watching anyway.

I'm thinking hard about getting that pointy shovel, but it chokes me to spend $50 on a shovel.  I also got a pair of racheting pruners from Q, and they have been quite good.