Honored Contributor

I have a brown thumb, so all I want to know, is, what do you grow?  Do you do a garden, or flowers or both?  What grows best in your area? How much of your yard do you grow in flowers or a garden or both?

I just admire these things, can't grow weeds, so to speak.Woman Wink

Trusted Contributor

Re: How does your garden grow?

We grow a lot of our food and some flowers. Veggies, fruit, berries and nuts.

It all starts with the soil. And hard work.

I am having fresh home grown asparagus tonight. Also have chickens and fresh eggs.

Honored Contributor

Brown thumb here also

I've given up gardening.   I can find locally grown, including pork, beef, eggs, etc plus veggies and fruits.   Living alone, I can buy it more cheaply than growing.

I am trying to grow a fig tree.   

But that's the extent of my gardening

@qualitygal

Honored Contributor

I just garden in pots . I do a variety of fresh herbs, rosemary, basil , thyme, cilantro, etc. Also I do a couple of pots of cherry tomatoes.🍅

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

My flowers and garden are grown in pots.   Too many deer here - everything goes up on deck unless it is deer resistant.  I had luck the first year with tomatoes - had more than I could eat and had to give them away - next year I had two plants and 4 tomatoes only.  Might give it another try this year - I love homegrown tomatoes! 

Valued Contributor

I have "earth boxes" on my patio.  They are big plastic boxes of potting medium.  Each has a "self watering" feature and trellis.  Their water tanks (in the bottom of the earth boxes) can be filled automatically by a timed manifold which comes off of my outside water spigot.   It is actually a really nifty way to garden as I never have to worry about watering.

I plant indeterminate tomatoes in these.  I will prune to a couple of vines and use twisties to guide the vines up the trellis.  I enjoy coming out for my morning coffee and taking care of my tomatoes Smiley Happy

I also have lots of clay pots scattered around my patio where I grow herbs and some pretty flowers...usually Red Profusion Zinnias because they are super easy to take care of and look very nice in pots.

I have a shared garden at a friend's home where we plant our favorite vegetables....peas, squash, beets, eggplants, Celebrity Tomatoes (a determinate tomato) and lots and lots of basil.  The ground is covered with black plastic mulch so we don't have to weed very much.

I planted potatoes a couple of years back (my friend has lots of acreage)  but picking off the potato larva and the actual bugs turned out to be too much of a constant challange.  However....I love growing them.  At harvest time, it is like finding buried treasure.

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Esteemed Contributor

Right now, my gardens are exploding with spring growth.  Creeping phlox, hardy geraniums, and purple salvias are blooming now -- buds on irises and peonies.   I have foundation gardens of shrubs and perennials on all four sides of the house - the back foundation garden takes up 1/4 the back yard - plus 2 large gardens out in the backyard corners.   No veggies, just perennials, annuals, shrubs, and flowering trees.  And big pots on the front porch filled with callalilies and violas.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Valued Contributor

@tototwo

I know it is a little off topic but I had to ask if the author of your quote is the same Margaret Richards of "Body Electric"?   I was a faithful follower and still have episodes on my DVD.  

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Respected Contributor

I had to smile at the question as my first thought was "By the grace of God."  It certainly can't   be anything I do!  I have a little 10X15foot plot for growing.  I used to grow tomatoes but I gave up for a few years.  Tried it again last year and got some Grape tomatoes but it was SO dry they did not produce well and I didn't have it in my heart to begrudge the critters for stealing them.  I have had luck with chives.  Plain chives and more recently Garlic chives. Really pretty plants, Garlic chives and the bees Love the flowers.  The rabbits ate my bachelor Buttons but only nibbled on the chives so Gonna grow more garlic chives for sure.  Try chives.  They're game little growers given half a chance.

Valued Contributor

Roses, petunas, cala lilys and geraniums are easy to grow. My petunas are in there 4th season. I trim and cover plants when real cold and frost. I plant all my plants in pots. Hope this helps. Roses I feel are the easiest to grow. Keep trying. Good luck.