Honored Contributor

Re: How do you get birds to move into the bird houses?

@ValuSkr wrote:

Only certain types of birds - e.g. wrens - are receptive to birdhouses.  After that, it depends on the size of the hole (big enough to let them in and small enough to keep out visitors) and the location.  If there's a certain kind of bird you want to attract, I suggest googling.

Certain houses for certain birds.  Lots of info online.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

When I had a bluebird house on a pole I always had bluebirds.  The house sparrows would try to take over, but I always put a sparrow spooker up after the first egg, and they wouldn't bother it.  I took the sparrow spooker off after the babies fledged so the house sparrows wouldn't get used to it.  House sparrows raid other bird's nests, and I wanted to keep the bluebirds safe.  House wrens will raid bluebird nests, too.

Bluebirds, tufted titmice, nuthatches, small woodpeckers, wrens and house sparrows use bird houses.  If it's bluebirds you're wanting to attract go to sialis dot org.  There is lots of excellent information there.  I would suggest going to a Wild Birds Unlimited store and talking with them about what type of bird house for the birds you're wanting to attract.

Carolina Wrens are my favorite bird.  Before I knew anything about birds I had a bird house on a tree. A tufted titmouse nested there.  I  like them a lot.  I did put a nest box up for Robins once, and had a Carolina wren nest there.  I was so happy.  A nest box for robins is open in the front, not like a bird house type nest box.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Just hang up a hanging flower pot and they will come!

Honored Contributor

We have a couple of birdhouses in our yard which have small holes.  They almost always get a family in them (some years more than once a season) but they are always wrens.  There are a lot of wrens in my area.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 , I was thinking along the same line, go out to the end of the driveway and call 'here birdy birdy birdy birdy'!!

Sorry @depglass , not trying to be flippant, hopefully you dont take it that way.  Smiley Very Happy

Anyway, I didnt realize till recently there was specific type houses for different species. Hope you have some luck at your other place. 

Respected Contributor

Feed them and have water available for drinking and bathing in. Also clean the house out when they move out. When I cut my dogs butt fur I throw it out in the yard for birds to use for nesting material. 

Honored Contributor

@rms1954 wrote:

@ValuSkr wrote:

Only certain types of birds - e.g. wrens - are receptive to birdhouses.  After that, it depends on the size of the hole (big enough to let them in and small enough to keep out visitors) and the location.  If there's a certain kind of bird you want to attract, I suggest googling.

Certain houses for certain birds.  Lots of info online.

Yes, so true.  One size (or style) does not fit all.

Honored Contributor

If you get a bird house with a perch, remove that perch. It makes it easier for predators to get at the eggs/babies.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

If you get a bird house with a perch, remove that perch. It makes it easier for predators to get at the eggs/babies.

I agree if the perch is near the entry hole. Many Martin houses though have lots of perches sticking out to the sides and like antennas on top of the houses which are good for Martins who like to perch in open air. If you remove those, you won't see as many Martins.  

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Yes, but most people are trying to attract other types of birds. Perches are bad for survival of these cavity dwelling birds.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼