Honored Contributor

Re: How do you get birds to move into the bird houses?

Reading this has made me feel better and gave me a couple chuckles  (800 thread count sheets and mini bar)  I'm realizing its not just us that has the problem.  But that guy who makes all the bird houses, you would think he would know the scoop.  He's made hundreds.  We don't live near him anymore or I'd ask him.  

Honored Contributor

For the past several years I’ve had a pair of robins build a nest in our Kwanzan cherry. With really severe storms this spring, I saw the nest had blown down onto the grass. No birdies or eggs inside (it was early). 

Anyway I’m pulling out of the driveway & there among my Kousa dogwood on the front lawn about 7’ up, I see another robin’s nest. I won’t look inside for now but I think their nest building skills improved. This one is twigs & remains of daylily leaves. The previous nest was just daylily leaves. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

You could put up a sign like this: lll lilllill lill. 

Perhaps a Woodstock bird might see it! Woman Happy

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

For the past several years I’ve had a pair of robins build a nest in our Kwanzan cherry. With really severe storms this spring, I saw the nest had blown down onto the grass. No birdies or eggs inside (it was early). 

Anyway I’m pulling out of the driveway & there among my Kousa dogwood on the front lawn about 7’ up, I see another robin’s nest. I won’t look inside for now but I think their nest building skills improved. This one is twigs & remains of daylily leaves. The previous nest was just daylily leaves. 

Here's a story about sturdy bird nests. About twenty-thirty years ago a local farm supply store (Agway) closed and had a going out of business sale. Among the things marked way, way down were plastic plant markers. I bought several hundred of them and used them in my garden to label each plant with the name of the plant, when I planted it, and whatever else I felt was important. Then I noticed some were missing. Then quite a few were missing. I was looking at my brother and father suspiciously as they're not gardeners and thought the markers were stupid and I wondered if they were taking them and throwing them away just to annoy me.

Then one day while working in the garden I saw a Blue Jay fly in and land near a marker. He tugged and tugged at the marker until it came free and flew off with it to some trees a couple of hundred yards behind my house. He flew back shortly afterwards and repeated this with another plant marker and another and another. He was building a massive, indestructible next out of my plant markers. I suspect that nest is still there somewhere since those markers last forever. The tree holding the nest may die and a new tree spring up lifting the nest back into the air, but I suspect that nest will be around for a long, long time. All of the markers were taken by that Blue Jay in a few weeks time. Birds can be pretty darn clever given the chance. He found something better than silly old sticks and twigs to make a nest out of.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!