Frequent Contributor

Re: How can I keep rabbits out of my garden?

I have thought about marigolds. I think I'll get some, can't hurt. Would coyote urine bring in bigger animals - more coyote, fox etc? 

Esteemed Contributor

@alicedee wrote:

When I gardened, my yard backed up to woods, so deer and rabbits were a problem.  I planted marigolds around the perimiter of the garden each year, and interspersed marigold plants every 3-4 vegetable plant in the garden itself.  I never had big problems with rabbits or deer eating my veggies.

I had read somewhere that critters didn't like the smell....not sure why it worked, but it did for me.

I was fascinated by your post. I found out quite by accident many years ago, that planting marigolds around certain plants kept the aphids away.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Trusted Contributor

@pattypeep wrote:

@alicedee wrote:

When I gardened, my yard backed up to woods, so deer and rabbits were a problem.  I planted marigolds around the perimiter of the garden each year, and interspersed marigold plants every 3-4 vegetable plant in the garden itself.  I never had big problems with rabbits or deer eating my veggies.

I had read somewhere that critters didn't like the smell....not sure why it worked, but it did for me.

I was fascinated by your post. I found out quite by accident many years ago, that planting marigolds around certain plants kept the aphids away.

Yes, marigolds are great companion plants - especially for tomatoes. And you can easily collect their seeds to use the following season, or they will re-seed themselves.