Valued Contributor

How are your veggies doing this year?

My vegetable garden has been a waste of time this year.  The squash and other veggie flowers don't seem to be getting fertilized.  There seem to be an unusual lack of bees - could this be the problem.  Also where have the bees gone?

Valued Contributor

Re: How are your veggies doing this year?

I forgot to add that I am in North Carolina and it has been extremely hot for many days.

Honored Contributor

Usually on squash you see the male flowers first and then the female flowers (these have the little bulge behind the flower). You may have to take an artist brush and manually pollinate them.

Also flowers can drop off due to changing temperatures.

Wasps of various kinds can also fertilize your veggies too.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

@Nicecupoftea wrote:

I forgot to add that I am in North Carolina and it has been extremely hot for many days.

LOL, I'm also in NC and I will gladly send you some pollinators--especially the ants.

This heat wave is really taking a toll on my tomato plants but the beans, cucumbers and zucchini are thriving.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

My transplants (tomatoes) are not looking the best.  I am wondering if I should pull them.  Last year tomatoes were a bust in my area of Nova Scotia.  Some kind of blight,  LM

Esteemed Contributor

We have only had 5 dry days this whole month so my garden is waterlogged.........

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lilysmom

That is probably the late blight that affected the tomatoes last year. Hopefully you did good garden clean up for the fall. You may have to buy non heirloom tomatoes (yes some varieties can get it). Its a wind blown fungal disease.

This year it sounds like 'transplant shock'. Slow and deep watering will help it.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

Jazz, I didn't plant tomatoes last year so no worries about the blight carrying over unless it is still an issue. We have had very good rain this spring and I keep the veggie garden well watered. Must have a look and see how the tomatoes are doing today. I only planted two transplants so it wouldn't break my heart if they failed. Other veggies doing well ... Beans, beets, carrots and cukes. Mr. Costco can be my tomato supplier this year!

Just spent four hours weeding and mulching. Good thing supper is cooked cause I sure don't feel like cooking!
Esteemed Contributor

This year's garden is so much better than last year's.  I'm not quite sure the reason.

I've been getting more and better looking cucumbers since I can't remember when!  My first cherry tomato is about ready.  Although since it's a yellow one, maybe it's already "there."  I'll need to look more closely.  Lots of other tomatoes (cherry and Roma) set, but all still green.

Green peppers are coming along nicely.

I threw last fall's pumpkin into a raised bed last year and have blossoms there.  I'll have to check if male and/or female (thanks for the tip, JJM!) and may need to do some pollination if I don't see fruit setting soon.

A solitary red oak lettuce plant from fall 2 years ago is enjoying some shade from the big cucumber leaves.  Even at that, I don't know how it's surviving in this heat!

Green beans are ready to pick, I think.  They're the thin ones...I don't remember the name.

A neighbor shared some butternut squash seeds and those plants look great! 

I'm looking forward to lots of squash this fall.

Chance of rain tonight and I'm keeping my fingers crossed.  I'd rather not drag out the hose.  I swore NO GARDEN this year.  This heat is a reminder why.

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

Esmeralda, I had to laugh when I read your post. My plants are just peeking out of the soil and you re already enjoying your produce already!