Frequent Contributor

@Growing 

I have so many I'm afraid to count Smiley LOL

Frequent Contributor

@Growing 

I'm going to have to give the darkness a try. So many say that these are easy to bloom. I dsagree :-)

:

@Mary Bailey I have 3. Christmas, Thanksgiving and Easter and I've never gotten them to bloom. But one day....

I have good luck with mine but I do the totally dark room for 12 hours a day starting in September for at least six weeks. I am currently overwatering mine and they aren't doing well. Why I have been overwatering them is just plain dumbness on my part. I know better. I also repotted mine into big pots and now they are huge but don't bloom much. Mine were pot bound or root bound before. That is not good for them either. I have read some good things online on gardening websites about cutting them back in late summer to encourage blooms. I will try this next year. I also use an organic fertilizer on them and they seem to really like that as they put out a ton of new growth after fertilizing. Mine are Thanksgiving cactus' and one is still blooming. You can tell what kind they are by the types of leaves they have. 

Frequent Contributor

@River Song 

Did you move it? I've heard they don't like to be moved when flowering.

Trusted Contributor

@vonIam wrote:

@River Song 

Did you move it? I've heard they don't like to be moved when flowering.

If you mean did I move it from spot to another...no.  It's been in the same spot for months.  I was so excited to see all the buds but then only about six actually bloomed.  I'm careful to not over water or over fertilize it, so I'm puzzled.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

I have a peace lily that was given to me when my mother passed away, so of course I want to keep it thriving. It is green and doesn't put out very many new leaves...has bloomed once in ten years... it is still slowly growing so guess that's the best I can hope for. I just can't get it in enough light.

Honored Contributor

Re: Houseplants anyone?

[ Edited ]

I noticed my geranium in the garage is still in bloom!   

I am in WV, and moved the flower from the front porch to the garage on October 1st.   I watered the plant on the porch before I moved it.   

By November 1st, our unheated garage was cool, so I put the geranium down inside a tall cardboard box and set the box near the window.  I have not watered the plant since; it is nice and green, with pink blooms.   I don't put flowers on my front porch until June.   

Esteemed Contributor

@River Song   You will find that gardening in Florida is a whole new ball game!  My plants grow all winter where they are.

My Christmas cactus bloomed well this year.  Can't imagine why it would drop blooms.  Maybe this will help, "To initiate the production of flower buds, there needs to be at least eight days of 16 hours of dark and eight hours of light each day. Wherever the plant is placed, do not turn on the lights at night, even for a short period of time."

UF/IFAS is the University of Fla plant info page.  It is a big help to Florida Gardening.  

Where are you in Florida?

Super Contributor

I look forward to reading about everyone's plants! I don't have a lot of indoor ones but I'm in the Sacramento area so I have a bunch of succulents out on the deck. In the house I have a pothos, an ivy, a dracenea, the pathetic remains of a spider plant (we were given babies at my SIL's shower and told keeping them alve would nourish the marriage and I'm the only one left, unfortunately my cat loves attacking it after he hacks up a hairball to sooth his stomach so it only has 4 leaves), a white/green pothos, some weird one my SIL gave me a cutting of that I don't remember the name, and two succulents which are all on my windowsill so the cats don't get them. 

Esteemed Contributor

Hi plant friends.  Hoping your indoor collections are perking up now that the days are longer.  I've begun light fertilization.

I always overwinter a few hibiscus, in front of a full view door.  What's interesting to me, is this year is the first winter  with new doors and new energy efficient glass (there's argon in between the panes and they're coated to reflect the sun's heat away in the summer), and the plants have responded differently.  The old ones were just plain double-paned glass.

Usually they bloom most of the winter, but the foliage looks like garbage.  This year the foliage is nice, but no blooms.  I think they'll do better when they go back outdoors since they haven't spent so much energy on blooms, and they've been producing chlorophyll at a greater rate.  

I'm already planning for what needs to be up-potted come spring.

Cogito ergo sum
Trusted Contributor

@Zhills wrote:

@River Song   You will find that gardening in Florida is a whole new ball game!  My plants grow all winter where they are.

My Christmas cactus bloomed well this year.  Can't imagine why it would drop blooms.  Maybe this will help, "To initiate the production of flower buds, there needs to be at least eight days of 16 hours of dark and eight hours of light each day. Wherever the plant is placed, do not turn on the lights at night, even for a short period of time."

UF/IFAS is the University of Fla plant info page.  It is a big help to Florida Gardening.  

Where are you in Florida?

I'm in southwest Florida, been here for 40 years.  My cactus plant is outside on the front porch, it gets a few hours of bright light, shady otherwise.  I thought I was going to have a good crop of blooms, then most of the buds fell off after around a dozen buds bloomed.  Weird.  Now, it's putting out new leaves so it seems to be happy.