Honored Contributor

House finches seem to be good parents

[ Edited ]

A pair of house finches are teaching their two young ones about bird seed.

One of the little ones was sitting very still for at least an hour on the bird feeder, and then when the parents came it apparently got permission to start eating.  Then they all swooped around and settled on the ground for a while, and then went back to the feeder, again and again.

I'm aware of the eye disease these finches are susceptible to, so will be removing the feeder periodically, cleaning it with dilute bleach solution, and waiting a couple of weeks before rehanging it.  I also hose off the patio every night to disperse the old seeds.  I have not seen any diseased birds (thank goodness).

Here's the little one just relaxing waiting for parents' return, and some family photos.
DSCN0174 (3).JPG

DSCN0179 (3).JPG

DSCN0178 (3).JPG
[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Trusted Contributor

Re: House finches seem to be good parents

@GingerPeach  Thank you for posting!  What sweet, adorable little birds they are.  And thank you for caring for them.  

Super Contributor

@GingerPeach

they are cute! i love birds and feed them also. just scrubbed the feeder myself also. so nice & clean for the little chirpies Heart

was not aware of an eye disease. what do they look like if they have it?

poor little things.

Honored Contributor

@nougat

Their eyes get red and crusty.  It sounds awful for them.

Trusted Contributor

Such little cuties, I agree.  Great thing you are doing @GingerPeach, your like the BIRDIE WHISPERER !!!

Honored Contributor

Yes @GingerPeach, the finches get a conjunctivitis which can cause poor vision or blindness. Finches are related to canaries & many canary breeders toss out the same food outside for the wild finches to use. This can cause diseases to spread to the wild finches. The best thing bird enthusiasts can do is keep the feeding area clear of discarded seeds & clean the feeders with a mild soap & hot water, drying off everything before refilling. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This morning I had a whole junco family, mom, dad, and little one.  They are mostly ground feeders, and they are the busiest little ones, hopping in between and onto potted plants and up on benches.

Also, a tufted titmouse had something important in his beak and flew away to take it someplace special.  You could almost see him thinking.

And, I heard a woodpecker.  I didn't see him but it was a definite pecking.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend.

I didn't get pictures before the families dispersed so these are just for identification.

Junco:

Image result for oregon junco male and female

Tufted titmouse:

Image result for titmouse