Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@RespectLife wrote:

Umm...no...plants and shrubs don't scare me at all.

@Desertdi 

Is THAT was is eating my hosta????  I have never seen a slug on them but someone ate them last year!

thanks for your comment...I am researching natural deterrents.

@RespectLife they come out at night.  I had one that was gorgeous and then one year full of holes.  There are slug-resistant varieties.  My yard is absolutely full of tiny snails.  

Thanks @Icegoddess  & @Desertdi 

I did read they come out at night.  When I first noticed the tons of little holes...I did keep flipping the leaves looking for the culprits...but never saw them.  It has to be it.

I had hostas all over at the prev. house and no one ate them!

Now I only have 3 and they looked terrible by the end of last year.

I read a natural spray:

In a spray bottle, mix a solution of 2 cups water, 10 drops tea tree oil and 10 drops liquid dish detergent. Spray onto plant leaves, and repeat as necessary to keep insects from attacking your hosta

I do have Tea Tree Oil from Wen...I may give that a whirl...

We do have mulch there which was suggested....coffee grounds and cracked egg shells, but I can see the Puggle eating those too.

Honored Contributor

@lil sophie 

I'm sorry hostas spook you...but I thank you for this post!

Now at least I know what the heck ate my hostas last year!

Super Contributor

@lil sophie  You gave me a good laugh today. That movie was pretty darn scary.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Hosta plants scare me

[ Edited ]

Ha ha... My hosta club friends call ourselves "hostaholics"-- I have a sign in one of my gardens that says "Beware of the Hostas."

You need that sign.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

I don't like them, especially the plain green leafed ones.  They just look like huge clumps of leaves.  They don't look like they need to be tended to and they look like they haven't been tended to.

And the stalk or whatever comes up with the puny flowers just don't do anything for me.  

I've seen pictures of lush ones with striping on the leaves, and they do look pretty, but the plain ones are just....plain. imho.

Trusted Contributor

@PhillyGirl23 

Hostas come out of the ground in spring/summer. They die back completely in the fall and there is no trace of them until the warmer weather starts.

She is saying that the landscapers who take care of her rental property have chosen Hostas to plant and they will soon be sprouting again.

Honored Contributor

@PhillyGirl23 wrote:

"the plants gardeners have selected for the front of our unit will be coming out". ???? Huh?

This sentence makes no sense at all

Yes, it's weird! lol

@PhillyGirl23 

Her sentence makes perfect sense.  Hostas return on their own each year.

The plants gardeners have selected, hostas, will be sprouting soon.

Honored Contributor

@lil sophie wrote:

We are in a rental townhouse now and pretty soon the plants gardeners have selected for the front of our unit will be coming out.  They are Hosta plants which my neighbor identified for me.  They scare me.  They remind me of the movie The Body Snatchers in the way they are spaced out.  Does this plant affect anyone else like this or am I just crazy?

hosta.jpg

@lil sophie   They are spaced so they will have room to grow and fill in the spaces. I love the original movie The Bodysnatchers, and like the remake.

Honored Contributor

I rather like them. Nothing like the plant in Little Shop Of Horrors!

Honored Contributor

She is saying they will soon be emerging @PhillyGirl23. it makes sense because they freeze and are dormant over winter.

@PhillyGirl23 wrote:

"the plants gardeners have selected for the front of our unit will be coming out". ???? Huh?

This sentence makes no sense at all

Yes, it's weird! lol