Respected Contributor

Holes in Lettuce- Neem Oil Worked!

For the first time, I haven't been able to grow ANY lettuce in my raised beds. As soon as the leaves pop up, they are chewed up (those green worms). It's so silly, because I'm growing a few "difficult" veggies with success.

I recently purchased a bottle of pure organic neem oil from Amazon (it can be used on the skin also, & has many uses). I mixed a little amount according to bottle directions- neem, liquid soap, & water. The directions say the mixture should be used right away. I sprayed the lettuce once, about 6 am. It's only been 4 days, & my lettuce has already grown, & it looks great! 

I love salads, & I've really missed my lettuce. I wonder how often I need to spray? I'll have to do some research. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Holes in Lettuce- Neem Oil Worked!

I mixed some up a few weeks ago to spray on the beetles.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@spot555 Please share the homemade pest recipe you used, thank you.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SydneyH wrote:

@spot555 Please share the homemade pest recipe you used, thank you.

I used...

Organic Verdana Cold Pressed Neem Oil - 16 Fluid Ounce – Un-refined, Filtered - High Azadirachtin content - For Indoor and Outdoor Plant Spray - Plant Care, Pet care, Skin Care, Hair Care

Mix....

1 fl oz. neem oil per gallon of water + 1 fl oz. mild liquid dish soap. Spray both sides of leaves. Do it very early in the morning or evening, after the sun has gone down. Don't use neem oil only- it will burn the plant. This doesn't store well, so use immediately.

I cut the quantity way down, because I didn't need that much. 

Respected Contributor

Just a Neem update....

All my lettuce looks perfect.....not a single hole. I only applied the neem once- that's amazing to me. I figured I'd need to apply it a few times before harvesting. 

As far as I'm concerned, this is the way to go for pest control. It's organic, tasteless, harmless, & the pests steer clear of it.

Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@spot555 wrote:

For the first time, I haven't been able to grow ANY lettuce in my raised beds. As soon as the leaves pop up, they are chewed up (those green worms). It's so silly, because I'm growing a few "difficult" veggies with success.

I recently purchased a bottle of pure organic neem oil from Amazon (it can be used on the skin also, & has many uses). I mixed a little amount according to bottle directions- neem, liquid soap, & water. The directions say the mixture should be used right away. I sprayed the lettuce once, about 6 am. It's only been 4 days, & my lettuce has already grown, & it looks great! 

I love salads, & I've really missed my lettuce. I wonder how often I need to spray? I'll have to do some research. 

@spot555  I have been covering my lettuce with a wire cage, but will keep this product in mind.

Respected Contributor

mousiegirl. Heart

The thing that's amazing to me is that it continues to work. I don't even know how that's possible. The bugs were not only destroying my lettuce, but were also working on my bell peppers. 

It's like the scent somehow lingers.....I can't smell or taste it AT ALL, but the bugs know it's there. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Sometimes fine netting applied over veggies helps prevent insects from landing on them. 

Also, always check over and under leaves in nurseries to see any hidden hitchhikers before purchasing. If you see anything, bring it to the attention of the nursery folks.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼