Respected Contributor

I know NOTHING about growing herbs.  I would like to grow cilantro, basil, and parsley. We have a covered patio, and I have a plant stand I can easily move from sun to shade.  Do these three plants require the same amount of sun?  What size of pot?  Do I water when they're bone dry, dry to about an inch from the soil line, or ???  Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.  PS...I obviously won't put them out until we're past the danger of a freeze, which would be about mid-May.

Honored Contributor

@Ainhisg We grow lots and lots of herbs. We are in zone 7 and our Rosemary sometimes survives the winter!  

The more tender herbs like Cilantro are different than more hardy ones.  Basil can't take cold weather at all.

I strongly suggest you look up online each herb you are interested and get specifics about that and about your area.

Herbs most often don't need a lot of fertilizer, some like more water than others and many need a lot of sun, and like basil need pruning to grow well.

Have fun! We always look forward to the new herbs in pots

Honored Contributor

Here's a fact sheet on herbs we give to homeowners:

http://ccenassau.org/resources/-herbs-for-the-garden

The herbs you mention like sun. Water when soil is dry. Check with your finger in the soil. You can water deeply until water runs out the bottom of the pot.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

Thank you so much, @JustJazzmom !!!

Honored Contributor

If you grow your herbs from seed, the variety available will blow your mind. You can pretty easily find 20 or more types of basil seeds alone, each of which has a slightly different flavor to them. The same is true of most of the herbs you're planning to grow. When recipes call for a fresh herb, the flavor of the finished dish can vary pretty dramatically depending on which variety of that herb you use.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!