Honored Contributor

Will these work well in a big pot and reliable to be OK thru winter?

Respected Contributor

I have had a huge pot of these for nine years and they are doing great. I leave them out in the Winter and they do just fine. I live in CO so we got a lot of cold and snow.

Honored Contributor

They need sandy well-drained soil and not a lot of water as succulents.  My mom always had a big plot of them in her rock garden in SE Pennsylvania, so they'll definitely take very cold weather.  I'd put them in a very shallow pot, not a lot of soil....like a big saucer type of dish with a drain hole.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

They need sandy well-drained soil and not a lot of water as succulents.  My mom always had a big plot of them in her rock garden in SE Pennsylvania, so they'll definitely take very cold weather.  I'd put them in a very shallow pot, not a lot of soil....like a big saucer type of dish with a drain hole.

Thanks.

Respected Contributor

@Kitlynn or @Kachina624 I purchased hens & chicks from Robertas. I have them all in one hanging planter. I live in Philadelphia. Can I leave these out in the winter? If so do I still water them in the winter or do they go dormant and I do nothing until the following spring?

Respected Contributor

I don't water mine at all in the Winter. They get the moisture from the snow we get as I don't cover them. They just wake up and thrive when Spring comes. They are a very hardy plant.

Respected Contributor

Thank you @Kitlynn