Regular Contributor

Hi Allegheny,  I think we may live in the same city (let's go Bucs) and I have successfully grown hens and chicks for years, uncovered in my front garden. I have them growing in a bright red strawberry planter and they survived beautifully even last year, which was very cold. I also have them lining a walkway where my newspaper guy often throws the paper as they are tough as nails. Good luck with yours....Marmot

Respected Contributor

@marmot24 wrote:

Hi Allegheny,  I think we may live in the same city (let's go Bucs) and I have successfully grown hens and chicks for years, uncovered in my front garden. I have them growing in a bright red strawberry planter and they survived beautifully even last year, which was very cold. I also have them lining a walkway where my newspaper guy often throws the paper as they are tough as nails. Good luck with yours....Marmot

Hi marmot24, Yes, go Bucs, Steelers and Pens! My nic is Allegheny, but I actually live in a neighboring county about 35 miles away from downtown. We had some retaining walls built about 5 years ago and my hens & chicks are planted there. I need to move them in the spring as those dang retaining walls are shifting already and will need attention next year. I am encouraged hearing that your's survived so well in a planter.