Respected Contributor

Help to prepare roses for hurricane...

I'm in Hurricane Irmas path, and need advice on what to do to keep my roses safe. I have several in raised planters, but go into the ground. So I cannot move them. Mr. Lincoln is probably over 6 ft and performing beautifully, as well Sugar Moon, and Neil Diamond. I have others in very large pots, i cant move, like Legends. They're very tall, and I've put trellis behind them, some twine for added support. Being through hurricanes here in Florida, I know once the bedding/grounds become saturated, nothing stands up. Plants, and trees topple over, and trellis's all become an added hazard. Can any of you suggest I prune them way down to prevent breakage? Typically not pruning time here in hot Florida, as they are still in full bloom, and all new growth spurt. I also have many in large pots, I guess I can bundle together, and lean them against the house on an angle. Should I cut them all back...or what else can I do?
Honored Contributor

Re: Help to prepare roses for hurricane...

@Dazlin wrote:
I'm in Hurricane Irmas path, and need advice on what to do to keep my roses safe. I have several in raised planters, but go into the ground. So I cannot move them. Mr. Lincoln is probably over 6 ft and performing beautifully, as well Sugar Moon, and Neil Diamond. I have others in very large pots, i cant move, like Legends. They're very tall, and I've put trellis behind them, some twine for added support. Being through hurricanes here in Florida, I know once the bedding/grounds become saturated, nothing stands up. Plants, and trees topple over, and trellis's all become an added hazard. Can any of you suggest I prune them way down to prevent breakage? Typically not pruning time here in hot Florida, as they are still in full bloom, and all new growth spurt. I also have many in large pots, I guess I can bundle together, and lean them against the house on an angle. Should I cut them all back...or what else can I do?

If the trellises are in the ground, I suggest using 1 Qt. Plastic pots around each peg and filled with ready to make cement. It holds up the trellis but doesn't leach the cement into the soil. 

Tie the tall canes to keep them from whipping around in the wind. With saturated soil, you are just going to have to hope for the best. Bring plants close to the house to keep from blowing about. Maybe get some plastic wheeled bottoms that fit on the bottom of each pot so they can be rolled about.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

Hope you make it through Ok.  I've only grown one rose bush and that never got very tall.  I couldn't tell you about cutting back but maybe tomato cages that encircle the plant and have stakes to push into the ground might help?  Most of the cages are metal wire so the wind would blow through them but they'd keep your plants contained.  They sound beautiful.  Take pictures.

Honored Contributor

Just so everyone knows the power of the winds with the rain-- a 6' high wooden arbor anchored into the ground with the cement filled plastic pots snapped off and fell over with one of the pots still attached to one leg when Superstorm Sandy hit us. Thus was not even a category 1 storm.

The combination of the wind with the torrential rain soaking the ground to a soggy mess causes trees to blow over along with other tall plants.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

I can't imagine a situation where plants in pots would fair well in a category 4 hurricane.  I'd try heroically to get them in a sheltered area like the garage.  I've seen something like a dolly made for lifting heavy, large pots.  Maybe Lowe's or HD can advise. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

The larger rose bushes I mentioned are in raised beds, not pots. They are free standing, permanent... Not moveable. They're along my front walkway. The trellis' s are metal, decorative, with short in ground spikes, placed behind them. They add a bit support, and privacy..definitely would have to come out ...what should I do about these unmoveable roses...prune down, tie? What else??. I think if I leave them, either the wind will break them, or water drenched soil would cause them to fall over. Tarps aren't going to hold on either...so I don't know what to do. Thanks for any advice!
Respected Contributor

Yes, the potted ones, I plan on moving against the house...its the large tall ones in the raised grounds. Sorry...if I sounded confusing...theyre not in pots. They're in raised planters with no bottoms...just a three foot high wooden frame we filled with soil. Roots go down into the ground.
Respected Contributor

@Dazlin  -  I hate preparing for hurricanes and hope you stay safe.  As for your roses, since they can't be moved, are you close to the shore?  If salt water gets to them, they'll most likely die.  It's a gamble to prune or not.  You may not receive the strong winds and then you'd have pruned when you didn't need to.  If you can, I would cut the roses loose from the trellis, which could easily get tossed around, and lay it flat or put into a shed.  The roses may surprise you and fare much better just on there own, depends on how big they are.  Good luck, and stay safe!

Honored Contributor

I would recommend taking down the trellises and storing them someplace safe. As to the rose bushes, I would expect the wind to more blow through them than grab them too much. Things like palm trees with small root masses and large amount of foliage up high are easy to knock over with wind. Rose bushes, not so much. I would likely prune off any open flowers or nearly open buds which are bigger and more likely to catch the wind. With the bushes in a raised wooden bed, I might try adding eye hooks to the wood and then loop nylon twine around the bushes to give them some added support. I'm not sure it would help a lot, but it's worth a shot.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

I don't think the trellis will make it through a Cat 4 storm no matter what you do. I think I would prune them down and hope for the best.

I have 18 rose bushes in my yard and I feel your pain...

I wish you the best  and stay safe...