Honored Contributor

Re: Help. Hedge required around air conditioner in S. Florida.

[ Edited ]

This is a close up of Clusia. @tends2dogs @Is this what you have. Some leaves get very big. It is kinda scclnt like

8CD6EC8D-C269-4DB1-B147-2A51BE60352B.jpeg

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is red tipped Coco Plum. It also comes in solid green. @tends2dogs @Is this what you have?

45F0A20A-9A81-4AB1-8C80-10B56CC3AE18.jpeg

Honored Contributor

And that is why I refuse to live in an HOA.  

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@Icegoddess @I'm sick of it. It is becoming so expensive to keep up with the tree requirements, you have no idea. Most communities built in the last 30 years are gated and have HOAs. It's difficult to find ones that don't. Even if you find homes without HOAs, the local code enforcement people in those neighborhoods are like the Gestopo. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Mindy D  Yes, that is what we have.  The leaves may get to around 4 inches across.  Maybe there is a dwarf version.  Our landscaper doesn't speak very good English, but you would think that he would know the name of what he is planting LOL.  Clusia it is!  And yes it has a succulent looking leaf.  We love ours.  We tore out our Ficus and replaced with these.  

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

This is red tipped Coco Plum. It also comes in solid green. @tends2dogs @Is this what you have?

45F0A20A-9A81-4AB1-8C80-10B56CC3AE18.jpeg

The two have to be from the same family.  The leaf is similar except for the coloring and maybe the size.  Both succulent.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

@Icegoddess @I'm sick of it. It is becoming so expensive to keep up with the tree requirements, you have no idea. Most communities built in the last 30 years are gated and have HOAs. It's difficult to find ones that don't. Even if you find homes without HOAs, the local code enforcement people in those neighborhoods are like the Gestopo. 

@Mindy D we don't have neighborhood code enforcement, only city.  And I know that the police will not enforce any HOA or subdivision rules.  I went to a local informational meeting about that a couple of years ago and they were quite clear about that.  Even code enforcement has their limits.  I had problems with a neighbor who was always breaking code but there was little they could do about it since the actual homeowner lived in CA and was letting his dead beat daughter live there.  So, all they could do was send a fine, but there was no way to make him pay it.  

I really want to move more rural where I can have some acreage, but that'll never happen.  My husband is too happy where we are.  

Respected Contributor

I'm not in a development,  but i can tell you planting a hedge around your A.C unit is  very good for the life of your unit.  My husband is licensed in heating and air, and he planted Vibernum around our A.C. here in Florida.   Its best to keep the hot sun shielded off the unit.   I realize your association may be after cosmetic improvements,  but overall, its a good thing.   The plants they mentioned,  I've not tried...we have vibernum.  Its a hardy hedge that can grow very tall if you choose not to trim.  

Honored Contributor

The first time that unit needs to be serviced, you know what's going to happen to those shrubs?