Regular Contributor

Help!!!!! Green cherry tomatoes

NO gardener me!  FIrst time ever with cherry tomato plants.  They are in the ground, have grown nicely and produced quite a lot of cherry tomatoes. 

Now however, the tomatoes are still green and don't seem to be ripening.

What to do???  What to do?????

Trusted Contributor

Re: Help!!!!! Green cherry tomatoes

@hick Not sure where in the country you are, mine (what's left) are also green.  Leave them alone!  In the past mine ripen mid-August through September (northeast) - Much depends on when you planted too.  

My issue this year is chipmunks!  I don't have a chance to get to those that ripen, the littl e buggers get them first! 

Honored Contributor

They naturally ,turn red when they are ready.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

We have had problems too, with both cherry tomatoes and regular size tomatoes ripening.  We plant tomatoes almost every year.  This year it has been extremely hot here in the Northeast.  To make matters worse, we have not had much natural rain at all.  We water, but it is just not as beneficial as a nice, steady rain on a regular basis. We are finally getting some of the tomatoes to ripen.  The cherry tomatoes are sweet and tasty once they do ripen.  The regular tomatoes just are not as big as usual, but they do taste good.  I think if you are patient your cherry tomatoes will ripen.  It has just been a difficult year to grow good quality vegetables. 

Honored Contributor

@Jtdmum   My parents grew tomatoes in the enclosed patio all year round.  The cherry tomatoes were always the last to turn red.

We live in the NE.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

I only started harvesting a week ago. I have 2 cherry tomatoes - mostly green and a few ripening each day. 

Esteemed Contributor

Just water and wait it out.  They will taste wonderful.

Honored Contributor

@maximillian wrote:

We have had problems too, with both cherry tomatoes and regular size tomatoes ripening.  We plant tomatoes almost every year.  This year it has been extremely hot here in the Northeast.  To make matters worse, we have not had much natural rain at all.  We water, but it is just not as beneficial as a nice, steady rain on a regular basis. We are finally getting some of the tomatoes to ripen.  The cherry tomatoes are sweet and tasty once they do ripen.  The regular tomatoes just are not as big as usual, but they do taste good.  I think if you are patient your cherry tomatoes will ripen.  It has just been a difficult year to grow good quality vegetables. 

@maximillian Also I don't think tomatoes set fruit above like 95 degrees or there about.  If it is hotter than that the blossoms usually just drop off. 

So sometimes you will get a good late crop even if the vines are looking a little more ragged.

Respected Contributor

@Jtdmum wrote:

@hick Not sure where in the country you are, mine (what's left) are also green.  Leave them alone!  In the past mine ripen mid-August through September (northeast) - Much depends on when you planted too.  

My issue this year is chipmunks!  I don't have a chance to get to those that ripen, the littl e buggers get them first! 

I only have one plant.  I got about 16 tomatoes so far, mine is called grape. They are just about done, but I've had a lot of spegetti meals from them,I enjoy watching   them grow. Mine sit up on a 3 foot stool, I learned from the chipmunks last year , to raise them up. I simmer them in olive oil, add whatever else you like and finish with cooked spegitti and cover with grated cheese

Regular Contributor

Thanks everybody - I feel very reassured!

I'm in the northeast.  The weather has been very hot and we are in a small drought.

After I posted yesterday, I went out and found 6 red cherry tomatoes among all the green.

So.....I'll just wait it out as recommended.

And....so far the army of chipmunks have left my tomatoes alone.

Fingers crossed.

Thanks again.