Honored Contributor
Thanks, betteb. We actually have heavier soil, but the gophers here have no trouble getting through it. I may have to take another look at molemax. I also like the suggestion of throwing the litterbox contents into their holes! That will cost me nothing!
Super Contributor

I got mine to leave, if they return I am going to look for Mole Max. Exterminators don't do anything but charge a bunch & set some traps.

Respected Contributor

We've had a recent battle with these critters, spent $100's on exterminators, poison, etc. The thing which finally worked was the black box, see link: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FBMFDO/?tag=mh0b-20&hvadid=3482019936&ref=pd_sl_nrcf6si10_ee

Sorry if you feel bad about killing them, but it's quick, and you don't want your investment in your yard and garden destroyed.

Respected Contributor

We've been very lucky using the same thing we do for moles - Oil of Peppermint soaked into a cotton ball. Drop it down the hole. Moles and Gophers hate the small. It causes them to sneeze and cough, or so I'm told.

Another good remedy is moth balls - again they hate the smell. Moth balls can be poisonous to other animals and humans, however, so use caution that they aren't available to other animals, birds, etc.

A good suggestion from a friend - when you see a gopher hole or a mole mound, put a small marker by each one so you can keep track of what you've done and where the critters are. Another suggestion from a neighbor - if you're planting a new garden, put some chicken wire (or other kinds) under your top soil. They won't dig down through it.

Esteemed Contributor
On 3/9/2014 happygal said:

We've had a recent battle with these critters, spent $100's on exterminators, poison, etc. The thing which finally worked was the black box, see link: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FBMFDO/?tag=mh0b-20&hvadid=3482019936&ref=pd_sl_nrcf6si10_ee

Sorry if you feel bad about killing them, but it's quick, and you don't want your investment in your yard and garden destroyed.

Are these like the green traps where you have to dig down a foot or so to the main tunnel, then find the cross one and place between the two? If so I tried them.