Respected Contributor

@HLP , aren't the Bloodgood maples lovely.  I am so happy you have one.  They are pretty tough too.  I had one that was injured in a winter storm...a big spruce fell and took a piece out and split the trunk.  The trunk has pulled back together amd the tree looks amazing.  They are beauties in the Fall. S aka Lilysmom 

Respected Contributor

@PA Mom-mom , yes just like that one!  One of my favorites!  This is mine.  S.  AKA Lilysmom

09CC1DC5-2C9D-4D12-83C8-4B2026CE1F97.jpeg

2FB9FBF1-69C7-4650-8803-9B1E5ED696EE.jpeg

Respected Contributor

@Lilysmom1 wrote:

@HLP , aren't the Bloodgood maples lovely.  I am so happy you have one.  They are pretty tough too.  I had one that was injured in a winter storm...a big spruce fell and took a piece out and split the trunk.  The trunk has pulled back together amd the tree looks amazing.  They are beauties in the Fall. S aka Lilysmom 

I just looked up Fothergilla, must have one of those too, Going to check my garden center next week. I also bought a "Lions Head Maple" when I bought the other, are you familiar with them?. They also are pretty in the Fall.

Honored Contributor

Re: Hello gardening friends

[ Edited ]

Hiya @Lilysmom1  If you were logging in using a PIN # here, you would have to change to a password. I ran into that problem with account being locked out but C/S sent an e mail to reset password & I got in again. 

@HLP  Look at either 'Beaver Creek' or 'Mt. Airy' fothergillas rather than the straight species. These cultivars get about 4' X 4' with 'Mt. Airy' being a little larger in size. 

I'm busy trying to put my perennials to bed here. Almost done except for daylilies. I may leave them alone this year. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Valued Contributor

Today was my getting ready for future cold weather day. Which means pulling up all the annuals that will freeze and cutting back the potted plants. I had a bumper gardening year, everything grew way too big. Now it's too much to handle. I get tired at this time of year because pulling out all the annuals is a chore, they are so big. Spring is so exciting though. If I wait till it freezes, the smell of the frozen plants is noxious. My new shantung maples are now 5 weeks in the ground and just started turning red. I am excited and loved your photos! 

Respected Contributor

@Growing @JustJazzmom I took advantage of the extra mild weather today (we set record temperatures for November) to finish up the gardening work.  The yard is looking good and, as usual, the giant oaks are hanging onto their leaves.  Interesting enough, so are the Bloodgood maples.  Our Fall colour was not as intense this year and I suspect that may be caused partly by the hot dry summer. 

I am thinking about putting up the outdoor Christmas lights today.  So much easier when you aren't freezing!  S aka Lilysmom 

Respected Contributor

Hi @Lilysmom1   Just like @HLP,  I had to look up the Fothergilla.  I didn't realize they were so pretty in the fall.

As always, your pictures are beautiful.  

Respected Contributor

Satomi, I love your attitude :-)

Respected Contributor

@Growing wrote:

Today was my getting ready for future cold weather day. Which means pulling up all the annuals that will freeze and cutting back the potted plants. I had a bumper gardening year, everything grew way too big. Now it's too much to handle. I get tired at this time of year because pulling out all the annuals is a chore, they are so big. Spring is so exciting though. If I wait till it freezes, the smell of the frozen plants is noxious. My new shantung maples are now 5 weeks in the ground and just started turning red. I am excited and loved your photos! 

Dotty, have you thought of/can you afford to have maybe a one-time fall cleanup by a yard service? My dh and I are getting up there in years (70's) and taking care of my yards are just too much for us, so we have a service come once a week to do the deed. 

It's so nice to have a group of fellow gardeners :-)

Respected Contributor

@JustJazzmom , just looking at your reply.  Good idea ... mine is Mt, Airy.  I had forgotten that until I saw your post.

Our weather here in Nova Scotia has been unseasonably warm.  I am over the garden work though.  If it's not done by now, it won't get done now.  I am in garden shutdown mode.

I am hoping you and your family are safe.  S, aka Lilysmom