Honored Contributor

Re: Heartbreaking thing that Happened to my today

@lovesallanimals Oh sweetheart, this is just heartbreaking.  Of course you are upset...that vulnerable little life.  You did all that you could.  Not only did you do your best to get the baby out of the sun, but kept it near the nest in the shade.  You were respectful and gave this precious little bird a thoughtful burial.

Life presents difficult and sad situations at times, be at peace knowing that your kindness is appreciated and that baby could not have been in more loving hands

Esteemed Contributor

Iam so sorry this happened.  I would feel the same way.  When you love animals, it is so hard to see them hurt or not survive.

We had a little bird fly into our sunroom window and fall onto our deck floor.  The little one did not survive.  Just breaks your heart.  You did all you could, and I would have done the same.

Esteemed Contributor

That's so sad. You did all you could for the little sweetie. ❤️

Respected Contributor

OMG - it happened again from the same nest!  I found another newly hatched bird on the same place on my deck, below her nest.  I have never seen anything like this before.  I dug up the one I just burried next to my flowers and put her in the box next to her sibling.  I want to thank all of you for your kind words, compassion and understanding it means the world to me.

Honored Contributor

I suffer with animals as you do.  

I am so very sad about what happened.  Nature is hard to understand many times.

Bless you for what you did for the little one.

Honored Contributor

@lovesallanimals  @Nonametoday 

I am so sorry this happened lovesallanimals.  I would be heartbroken, too.  It is not true, though, that birds abandon their babies if you touch them.  That's an old wives tale.  This is from National Geographic, and I've read this many places.  What they mean by "leave the cute ones alone" is that they were ready to leave the nest. 

"If you can find the nest (it may be well hidden), put the bird back as quickly as possible. Don't worry—parent birds do not recognize their young by smell. They will not abandon a baby if it has been touched by humans.” So leave the cute ones alone, and put the little ratty-looking ones back in the nest."  Jun 29, 2015

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

I agree with @NickNack .  I have several bluebirds hatching,  and I always check the ground below the nest boxes in case a baby falls out.  I have a wren nest in my barn right now, and had a couple of black capped chickadees nesting too.   I check everything and they never leave their babies unattended.   Really sorry about your little bird, but I would have done the same thing and bury it. Very caring of you.

Respected Contributor

This is why some animals have several offspring at once.  They don't all survive.  It's sad to see though, a little life that didn't make it.

It's best to bury these creatures in a biodegradable box or wrap.  Then their little bodies can enrich the earth, an important job for them.  I'm not saying what you did was wrong. You were very respectful.  A bunny got hit by a car by my house, I buried him in my rose garden.  It was sad to see he didn't survive.

Valued Contributor

Some birds will desert their offspring if  you touch them.

That's not true; it's an old wives tale.

Honored Contributor

@lovesallanimals wrote:

OMG - it happened again from the same nest!  I found another newly hatched bird on the same place on my deck, below her nest.  I have never seen anything like this before.  I dug up the one I just burried next to my flowers and put her in the box next to her sibling.  I want to thank all of you for your kind words, compassion and understanding it means the world to me.

You may have a cowbird that laid its eggs in the other bird's nest. Cowbirds have a unique parenting skillset in that they'll study other birds and watch their nests. When the parents leave a nest with eggs unattended for even a minute or two, the female cowbird will fly in and lay her egg in that nest. In some cases she'll destroy the other eggs. Then when the baby cowbirds hatch they outgrow their nestmates and get more food. Some reports have them pushing their nestmates out of the nest so they get all of the food and attention. (Like some Cuckoos do.) The nest builders think they're raising their own babies, but they're doing all of the work for the cowbird. Their own babies get pushed out and left to die on the ground under the nest. It's an interesting parenting technique that cowbirds use.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!