Honored Contributor

Re: Have you visited your local gardening center lately?

All I'm seeing at our local Home Depots is pansies and some hyacinths, maybe some Easter Lilies-- which are forced to bloom now. If planted outside once the blooms are done, they will bloom over the summer months the following year.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Valued Contributor

I just ordered 2 lilacs, a daphne, and some herbs. I consider this a "local" supplier because they grow their own in my state. Plants won't ship until May. Prices were the same as last year.
Respected Contributor

I always wait until May 1st to buy and plant my annuals. Every year I cut back but mainly because it is getting tougher on the old back to plant them. I use to spend 200-250 but now 100-125. I have a favorite plant that only comes in a pot so it is more expensive.

I buy geraniums every year with a few other annuals mixed in for fullness and color. My flower beds are huge and plentiful but mostly perennials.

My day lilies, daffodils and tulips are looking really good and my mums are getting green and bloom twice a year. I am so glad when I planted my beds that I paid attention to what blooms when. Now I always have something blooming spring, summer and fall.

Super Contributor

Here in South Texas everything is out and growing! Have noticed better prices at box stores and they sell a lot of low-priced plants at our grocery stores here as well.
Esteemed Contributor

I'm in Nova Scotia and we still have four to five feet of snow after a rough winter. I am expecting local greenhouses and nurseries to be hiking prices big time. There has been a lot of greenhouse damage this winter. Private nurseries can't get insurance for them and the provincial governments will not give them financial assistance so prices will be up. I expect to be doing a lot of work to revive plants this year. Looking forward to the snow going so we can assess the damage. Looking forward to warmer temps and greenery.

Happy gardening. LM

Honored Contributor

I let the weeds grow. It's free and no work needed.

Honored Contributor

On 4/3/2015 Lilysmom said:

I'm in Nova Scotia and we still have four to five feet of snow after a rough winter. I am expecting local greenhouses and nurseries to be hiking prices big time. There has been a lot of greenhouse damage this winter. Private nurseries can't get insurance for them and the provincial governments will not give them financial assistance so prices will be up. I expect to be doing a lot of work to revive plants this year. Looking forward to the snow going so we can assess the damage. Looking forward to warmer temps and greenery.

Happy gardening. LM

I guess you got the snowstorms after they left Massachusetts. Do you think snow will be gone by the end of April? It's a shame nurseries there can't get insurance for greenhouses. It must be considered too risky.

Esteemed Contributor

On 4/3/2015 ValuSkr said:
On 4/3/2015 Lilysmom said:

Happy gardening. LM

I guess you got the snowstorms after they left Massachusetts. Do you think snow will be gone by the end of April? It's a shame nurseries there can't get insurance for greenhouses. It must be considered too risky.

Yes, we were ok until Feb and then we had storm after storm every two or three days. They are still calling for snow this week. Seven foot high snowbanks. Our worst winter in years. I am hoping for a good summer after that!

Esteemed Contributor

I visited the big nurseries and Home Depot in our area last week -- mainly price checking. Yikes!! {#emotions_dlg.scared} Prices were $8 - $10 each for perennials! How much in your area? Prices are much higher than last year. Then, visited 2 of the mom-and-pop garden shops that spring up in grocery store parking lots -- they were about 1/2 the price of the nurseries for the same size pots - and healthier plants. Guess where I'm spending my money.

I've made 2 new garden beds this spring and will need oodles of perennials to fill them. This will be expensive!

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

On 4/3/2015 wildcat fan said: Now that I think about it, I believe our Home Depot and Lowe's have been affected by the bankruptcy of Stacy's Greenhouse which was a major supplier for them. That has probably had an impact on prices and definitely on selection. I used to see Stacy's plants in stores all across the south.

We had Stacy's in our stores in PA. I did not know they went bankrupt. Sorry to hear that.

We still have been getting frost most nights. I have not begun to look for flowers yet. Every morning I have to work to get the frozen water out of the duck's water containers so I can put water in them.

I guess I will go to the local farmers for my plants.