Esteemed Contributor

Have you any experience with "Japanese Bottlebrush?"

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking at the current Breck's catalog and really like the Japanese Bottlebrush, the color of which is like this pink, only darker.  The catalog's description is:

Feathery, brushlike spikes form on the thin, wiry stems that arch above the lacy green leaves below.  The light carmine flower clusters have a unique look, giving the appearance of caterpillars perched on branches.  Plant height: 30-36."

If you've had any experience with this plant, I'd appreciate your input.

Thanks.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Have you any experience with "Japanese Bottlebrush?"

[ Edited ]

Is this the ornamental grass?  If so, I used to have it in my rock garden.  It was extremely beautiful, particiularly in fall - but it became invasive.  The "bottle brushes" seed everywhere.  I took it out and was weeding its offspring for over 10 years.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is a perennial called Sanguisorba obtusa.

Interesting info from this website:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/howtogrow/3304829/How-to-grow-sanguisorba.html

It's a woodland type plant but that word 'promiscuous' makes me wonder if it seeds everywhere.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Trusted Contributor

@sfnative-- I just looked it up and they mention CONTAINER a couple of times and natural and prairie.   It is a beautiful plant.   Just put it in a container for the first year and see how it goes.  You also maybe check with a local nursery to see if it is a dangerous plant for California.  Let us know-------tedEbear

Esteemed Contributor

@PilatesLover wrote:

Is this the ornamental grass?  If so, I used to have it in my rock garden.  It was extremely beautiful, particiularly in fall - but it became invasive.  The "bottle brushes" seed everywhere.  I took it out and was weeding its offspring for over 10 years.

@PilatesLover

Thank you for this information.  From what I understand, it is indeed ornamental grass.  The suggestion is for it to be placed in a container; however, that doesn't prevent seeds from blowing all over the place, which my neighbors probably won't appreciate.  Thanks, again.

Esteemed Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

This is a perennial called Sanguisorba obtusa.

Interesting info from this website:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/howtogrow/3304829/How-to-grow-sanguisorba.html

It's a woodland type plant but that word 'promiscuous' makes me wonder if it seeds everywhere.

@JustJazzmom

@PilatesLover

According to PilatesLover, this plant seeds itself at leastto  some abandon.  Though I really love the looks of this plant, I can't risk my neighbors having to fight this back.

Esteemed Contributor

@tedEbear wrote:

@sfnative-- I just looked it up and they mention CONTAINER a couple of times and natural and prairie.   It is a beautiful plant.   Just put it in a container for the first year and see how it goes.  You also maybe check with a local nursery to see if it is a dangerous plant for California.  Let us know-------tedEbear

@tedEbear

After reading the replies, I think I'm going to start with a small plant in a container in the back yard and keep an eye on seeding.

Though we no longer live in S.F., we're now in Portland, so think this plant will do just fine here.

Trusted Contributor

@sfnative--------I think Portland will be great!!!  So green and lush!!  The only bottlebrush I have ever had was all that was growing around my elementary school.  So much fun to tickle your face.  In AZ they have a very small bottlebrush that is red and I keep thinking that I will try one of those.  I have had a terrible growing anything like  I could do in California.  Good Luck and have fun.-------tedEbear

Honored Contributor

@sfnative

I remember you wanting to create a Japanese flavor garden-- have you given some thought to maybe some Hakone grasses?
I have Hakone 'Naomi' and it is well behaved-- just starting to send up new growth now and the leaves in the cooler weather get a burgundy shade (not completely but more of an accent on them). The plant in the 3 years I've had it is slow growing and doesn't get huge (like 2' high and wide) It is less than that for me in the Eastern/Northern exposure I have it.

Size: 10"–14" high x 18" wide; hardy to zone 5 according to one websit.

Another plant for woodland which has orchid like flowers on it in August by me is Tricyrtis 'Tojen'. This can get about 2' high and about 18" wide. And it goes dormant for the winter. It is now putting out green growth now by me from the bottom. This is clumping variety and not an underground runner spreading type.

This 2nd & 3rd photos are from my garden:

Closeup of Tricyrtis 'Tojen' bloom.JPG

This one shows the size of the Hakone grass 'Naomi' in the background too.

Tricyrtis 'Togen'  W 'Naomi' Hakone Grass.JPG

In this area these plants replaced low growing junipers that overgrew the brick borders. I used 3 Hakone grasses and 3 Tricytis plants.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

@sfnative Et al, I have this grass and it is beautiful.  I am in zone 5 (Nova Scotia).  I have never had a problem with it spreading/being invasive.  Mine has been in the ground for years.  I have two.

I Leave it until Spring to cut back.  If you cut it back in the Fall, those bottlebrush furry things will get all over your clothing and are the devil to get out. 

You  might also think about Japanese Blood grass.  It will spread a little but is not invasive and is a gorgeous red.  LM

Bottlebrush directly below and Japanese Blood Grass beneath it between the coneflowers.

image.jpegimage.jpeg