Trusted Contributor

Have You Had Stinkhorn Fungus in Your Garden?

They are sooooooooo disgusting.  This is the first year I've gotten them in my garden.  I thought I got rid of all the eggs under the dirt.  Today I saw another one.  I pulled it out and started digging underneath and found a whole bunch more.  Ugh!

Super Contributor

Re: Have You Had Stinkhorn Fungus in Your Garden?

Yes!  Last summer was the worst!  And you have to be so careful when you dispose of the stinky thing to keep from spreading it to other areas of your garden!  Gross!  Just gross!

Trusted Contributor

@Deb665 Beyond gross.  I thought I had them all gone and then I saw the one this morning.  They make me gag. 

Honored Contributor

I didn’t know what they were so I had to google.They spread rapidly and die quickly but supposedly they are t poisonous.I would never imagine anyone eating one though to find out.They are gross looking but some people think they are pretty....okaaaay??

Honored Contributor

No..........and I hope I don't get any.    Ugh.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I'm no gardner and the name sounds downright disgusting.

Trusted Contributor

Are these those little white egg things?  I just discovered a bunch while planting a couple of new shrubs and mulching this past weekend.  I've gardened for years, and never before came across these things.  I didn't know what they were (hoping they weren't eggs from creatures from outer space), so I googled them and came up with a kind of fungus.

Why is this common all of a sudden ?   Or have I just been missing them in the past?  Anyway, they are weird looking things, that's for sure.  I was hoping they weren't harmful to man or plants.

Trusted Contributor

@blueroses47 wrote:

Are these those little white egg things?  I just discovered a bunch while planting a couple of new shrubs and mulching this past weekend.  I've gardened for years, and never before came across these things.  I didn't know what they were (hoping they weren't eggs from creatures from outer space), so I googled them and came up with a kind of fungus.

Why is this common all of a sudden ?   Or have I just been missing them in the past?  Anyway, they are weird looking things, that's for sure.  I was hoping they weren't harmful to man or plants.

I have not been gardening very long, about five years.  I've never seen or heard of them until last month.  At first I was just pulling them out until I figured out they actually grow from the eggs under the diirt.  Once I figure that out, I dug and dug an removed all of them, or I thought I did.  I didn't have any more for a couple weeks and then yesterday I saw another one growing.  I took it out and moved the dirt again and took out about 20 eggs.

Image result for stinkhorn

Trusted Contributor

@blueroses47 these are the eggs.

Related image

Trusted Contributor

@Equuleus wrote:

@blueroses47 these are the eggs.

Related image

Yes, that's them.  I had never seen them before.  Very weird looking. 

Always something new going on in the garden.  Two years ago it was Rose Rosette disease.  This year it's stinkhorn fungus.