Honored Contributor

Re: Has anyone grown a Pistachio Hydrangea?

Thanks for mentioning. I'd never heard of one before, but looking at some information on-line, this looks like something I might want to try!

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

On 7/8/2014 goldenretriever said:
On 7/7/2014 JustJazzmom said:

Newsflash!! Was over this PM at my local LI Home Depot and they had 2 gallon containers of Pistachio hydrangea in bloom for $19.99!

WOW- great price!

What I LOVE about this variety, as well as Red Sensation, is the beauty of the foliage. The plant is "sturdy"- never floppy, & the leaves are thick, shiny, & blue/green. It is compact & is extremely easy to shape according to the allowed space (if need be). It's just EASY, & it blooms like crazy every year. I fertilize in March or April (according to the weather), then again in early July- that's it!

Enjoy!

I didn't get it but I put it out there for those who did want it!! I keep a mental list of replacement plants in my head, in case plants I did buy don't work out for me. (Gets too large, overgrows the area allotted, needs to be pruned yearly, doesn't perform as advertised, etc.)

This plant is on my list in case something doesn't work out. I have an azalea called 'Nancy of Robinhill' that is partially leafed out this spring-- fungal disease maybe affected it? I may put that 'Pistachio' hydrangea there.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

On 7/8/2014 goldenretriever said:
On 7/7/2014 JustJazzmom said:

Newsflash!! Was over this PM at my local LI Home Depot and they had 2 gallon containers of Pistachio hydrangea in bloom for $19.99!

WOW- great price!

What I LOVE about this variety, as well as Red Sensation, is the beauty of the foliage. The plant is "sturdy"- never floppy, & the leaves are thick, shiny, & blue/green. It is compact & is extremely easy to shape according to the allowed space (if need be). It's just EASY, & it blooms like crazy every year. I fertilize in March or April (according to the weather), then again in early July- that's it!

Enjoy!

I did buy it and replaced a 'Nancy of Robinhill azalea that was 3/4's dead in between 2 mountain laurels 'Raspberry Glow'. I think the azalea died of a fungal disease as most of the branches were dead. I just removed it and will plant the hydrangea later on this evening as it cools down.

I just put the location and price out there just in case someone doesn't have a local nursery but has a Home Depot instead by them.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼