Honored Contributor

Re: Has anyone grown a Pistachio Hydrangea?

I finally got my plant too. It was small, but it's now COVERED with blossoms. I have two that are fully colored - right to the dark blue in the middle.

I'm so glad I got this one....it's a beauty.

Thanks everyone for your advice.

Honored Contributor

Wayside Gardens sell this. I almost bought it yesterday, but I have so many Hydrangeas, I opted for another new everlasting cultivar.

Honored Contributor

On 6/29/2014 mousiegirl said:

Wayside Gardens sell this. I almost bought it yesterday, but I have so many Hydrangeas, I opted for another new everlasting cultivar.

I got mine at a local nursery. They were shipped late from the grower and then they potted them up and had to establish them before they went on sale.

Honored Contributor

On 6/29/2014 terrier3 said:
On 6/29/2014 mousiegirl said:

I got mine at a local nursery. They were shipped late from the grower and then they potted them up and had to establish them before they went on sale.

My garden center tried to sell me one about a month ago, in a huge pot, at a huge price, but I knew I could get it for much less on line, in a smaller pot. I hope you enjoy it!

Valued Contributor

We've recently had some landscaping done and chose some a "limelight hydrangea" and also wanted the "pinky winky" ones, but the landscaping place couldn't get the pinky winky, so we opted for a variety called "strawberry vanilla".

They just came by earlier today and planted them; we couldn't believe how beautiful they are. The pistachio one looks beautiful and very different, so I may have to see if our local nursery has any in stock.

Honored Contributor

On 6/30/2014 HisElk said:

We've recently had some landscaping done and chose some a "limelight hydrangea" and also wanted the "pinky winky" ones, but the landscaping place couldn't get the pinky winky, so we opted for a variety called "strawberry vanilla".

They just came by earlier today and planted them; we couldn't believe how beautiful they are. The pistachio one looks beautiful and very different, so I may have to see if our local nursery has any in stock.

I'm trying to find an area to put in a Strawberry Vanilla. They look beautiful at the nursery.

Honored Contributor

Newsflash!! Was over this PM at my local LI Home Depot and they had 2 gallon containers of Pistachio hydrangea in bloom for $19.99!

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

I've never grown one but they are gorgeous! I do have some other hydrangeas that I didn't think would do well but they have done great.

Respected Contributor

On 7/7/2014 JustJazzmom said:

Newsflash!! Was over this PM at my local LI Home Depot and they had 2 gallon containers of Pistachio hydrangea in bloom for $19.99!

WOW- great price!

What I LOVE about this variety, as well as Red Sensation, is the beauty of the foliage. The plant is "sturdy"- never floppy, & the leaves are thick, shiny, & blue/green. It is compact & is extremely easy to shape according to the allowed space (if need be). It's just EASY, & it blooms like crazy every year. I fertilize in March or April (according to the weather), then again in early July- that's it!

Enjoy!

Honored Contributor

We have pistachio and bright fuchsia pink Cityline Paris hydrangea flowering beautifully. Hydrangea grow particularly well at the shore. Before Sandy we had the traditional blues, lavender and pink. We have added some of the more usual colors. At one time the color was determined by the soil content. It doesn't seem true with the newer colors and varieties.