Honored Contributor

Has anyone grown a Pistachio Hydrangea?

I need a hydrangea that will look nice in a patio pot to replace one that hasn't thrived. I have received e-mails from nurseries re: pistachio hydrangeas.

I noticed that one was also in a Cottage Farm collection.

I think I will buy it locally, if possible.

Has anyone had experience with this plant?

TIA.

Super Contributor

Re: Has anyone grown a Pistachio Hydrangea?

I haven't but if you do and it's successful, I'd like to know. I'm always on the look-out for something unusual, especially when it comes to color. Also, hydrangeas are pretty easy to grow--I have a hedge of them to disguise an old, ugly fence--and that's another advantage in their favor.

ETA: I did a quick look and found a link for you if you can't find it locally. I wouldn't buy ANY kind of plant via QVC; I've seen way too many negative comments.

Here you go--from one hydrangea lover to another....

http://www.americanmeadows.com/perennials/hydrangea/hydrangea-pistachio?crcat=ppc-11-197+spring+per...

Honored Contributor

Our local nursery by me has a hydrangea lecture every year in the early summer and this plant was one of the ones listed as a new cultivar for purchase. Everyone, including me fell in love with it-- the unique color, its compactness-- it shouldn't get too tall or wide according to the lecturer. I would have bought one but they sold out of them before I got to that area of the nursery. It's a plant that is on my back burner for when I need to replace plants that no longer work in my garden!

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

I've never seen one so glad to see the photo in the link. Beautiful. I love hydrangeas too. I have 5 or 6. I put something in the soil so I hope one of mine gets back to the color (blue) when it was given to me. It's large now and just about ready to bloom again.

Honored Contributor

The flower trusses are smaller than the pictures in real life.

Honored Contributor

More info from the hybridizer of this hydrangea-- look at the height and width of it.

Contributor

rI bought one at a local nursery last year. I planted it with my Forever & Ever Red Sensation hydrangeas. This one is unique & gorgeous. It has the sturdy, rich green glossy leaves just like the Red Sensation does.

The Forever hydrangeas are such a pleasure to grow. They grow on old & new wood, the leaves are spectacular, they grow full & compact, & aren't prone to diseases here in the PNW.

They bloom LIKE CRAZY- non-stop all summer long. I don't cut the flowers off until mid-Sept. Its so fun to watch them change color as they dry (they still look so pretty!)

The only thing I noticed about the Pistachio is that it requires slightly different lighting conditions than the Red does. The instructions say sun/part shade. Last season it was in too much shade, so it wasn't as happy as it could have been. I'll be transferring it to a more sunny location, so I hope its happy there.

Honored Contributor

Pistachio update - The nursery I usually go to (best in the area, staffed with Master Gardeners and many professionals) doesn't have the Pistachios in yet.

The manager of the shrub department told me that hydrangeas are shipped when they have some flowers blooming and you can see the color. He thinks in a week or 2 he will get them in. He said he ordered a lot - they are very popular as patio plants.

I'll post a pic when I get mine!

Valued Contributor

I purchased one this year. I fell in love with the beautiful colored flowers. They are supposed to rebloom as well so we will see. Beautiful foliage and flowers as well. Lime green with bright pinkish purple mixed in.

Respected Contributor

Mine is starting to open right now- pinkish-red/lime green blooms. The foliage on the Forever & Ever hydrangeas is always so gorgeous. Every single year, it's a rich glossy deep green- beautiful without the flowers! BTW, mine is in a large pot on the side of the house.

I pruned my plant super-late last year (mid-Oct), so I wasn't expecting many blooms- but it's loaded! These do re-bloom. They have flowers on them until frost. The Forever & Ever Red Sensation is also spectacular. I have 2 of those + one Pistachio. They are just SO easy to grow, & they are always beautiful.

Enjoy!