Respected Contributor

Re: Happy healthy new year!! Suggestions for rose along driveway

@CamilleP wrote:

I'm glad you can probably find a Don Juan, Dazlin.  Yes, my rosebush is quite a marvel, given that I am in my sixth decade, meaning it is probably 70+ years old.  It's got lots of new, vigorous growth every year, and it's crown is very large, and has several large, stout canes, as well as growing new ones every year.  And the fragrance, oh my!  It's so rich that you feel like you just ate something when you take a big whiff from a blossom in the summer.  Best wishes!

Had no idea a rose bush can survive so long...i think thats beyond wonderful😀....i bet you don't even do much to keep it going...or do you???...please share.   May I ask what's your climate, state you reside in?

Honored Contributor

You already have my favorite rose in Mr. Lincoln. I also love Tropicana and Perfume Delight. Some say Chrysler Imperial is the best red rose, but it never matched up to Mr. Lincoln in my garden. I may have to get back to growing roses again. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

Well, I don't know how Grandma Meta cared for it, but my Mom always used chemical rose fertilizers that had systemic fungicide and insecticide in it.  That lasted until my Mom fell ill with lung cancer and died in 2002.  For the next seven years it survived on benign neglect, luckier than four of the other roses left at my parents' home, which got mowed with a lawnmower every summer, until my brother, the executor of their estate, died, and control of the estate passed to me.  I immediately told the neighbor who had been doing the mowing to stop killing the rosebushes!  Other than the Don Juan, the rest, including a yellow rose that was also being neglected (but at least not mowed!) are all Jackson&Perkins test roses that did not perform well enough to get patented.  Once I sold my parent's property, I moved those last six rose bushes to my home in the foothills of the Coast Range in Oregon, on the western edge of the Willamette Valley.  I also used chemical fertilizers for a couple of years, though I hated poisoning things with the insecticide.  I finally realized I was tossing a great deal of rich fertilizer over the fence into the woods, every time I scooped up after my dogs.  So now, I only use systemic chemicals if I see aphids in the spring, and the roses are growing like prickly weeds from the nitrogen rich organic dog poop, LOL!  Climate-wise, it's still relatively temperate here, though getting hotter by a good 10 degrees in the summer and snowing nearly every winter in contrast to the very mild western Oregon I grew up in.  The little white rosebush almost didn't make it through the first big snow about three winters ago, but I coddled it that next summer, and now it's fine again.  So far this winter we haven't had a hard freeze, but if it looks bad I'll throw some tarps over the rose bed, and since it's in the shelter of the "L" of our garage and our house, the roses  will be well-protected.  They don't get as much sun as I'd like, but they are surviving okay, and will do so as long as I can keep taking care of them.

Honored Contributor

For those who want gorgeous disease resistant climbers look at Kordes Amadeus & Golden Gate. 

Amadeus is red, no fragrance & Golden Gate is dark yellow & fragrant.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

CamilleP...nice to hear your roses survived such a move, sounds like your doing everything right.  Appreciate you sharing ...also I'm very sorry for your loss of loved ones...ill say that makes the rose even more special!!

Gardenman, I remember your posts awhile back about your neighborly reasons for giving up roses...sure can't wait to hear you started up again!!  Out of all my roses Mr. Lincoln has taken off tall and strong.  Yes, beautifully fragrances, when temps drop a bit (florida).  My Legends rose gives the HUGEST blooms, VERY fragrant too, bright red.  Hope you get into it again😁

Nice climbers, jazzmom...something I can consider,  since my driveway has a four board fencing along it.  Maybe nice to let the roses climb up.  Camille mentioned don juan a climber, and very fragranced too.  Appreciate all the suggestions here!!!

Honored Contributor

I mention the Kordes roses because they are pretty disease resistant. I hate spraying chemicals on my plants; if by mid summer half the leaves are gone, it kinda ruins the look. So many newer varieties out there that are disease resistant. 

Our Extension has a ‘no spray’ demonstration rose garden with over 90 varieties of roses. We grow climbers on arbors & 2 wooden pillars. We experimented with Seafoam & Lavender Lassie  to show homeowners that climbers can be trained on a single pillar or a fence post. 

This year we are changing both roses & putting in different climbers. 

Respected Contributor

• Stopped at my local aboretum  today...hes already got 600 roses in!!   I'm now looking into a climber for my driveway.   I had high hopes he would order me Pearly Gates, but he's all done ordering, and already growing in pots.  I'm very disappointed☹☹.   He DOES has the Don Juan Camille mentioned,  and yes, it says very fragrant.  He also has 4th of July, and purple splash, which kinda caught my eye.  Others he has are Joseph's coat, and another orangey colored one, I don't care for.    Also I don't like the flimsy few petals some have.  

Some mentioned ordering online...i got a rose, think its Sweden from Dave Austin last year, and its still very tiny, so im afraid to order online again...just takes soooo long to produce.

Oh well, I wanted  baby pink color, but my nursery here didn't order any climbers in pinks...so I may go with Don Juan, especially for the fragrance.     Share your thoughts on fragrant climbers, with big blooms.

Respected Contributor

ohRe: Happy healthy new year!! Suggestions for rose along driveway

• Stopped at my local aboretum  today...hes already got 600 roses in!!   I'm now looking into a climber for my driveway.   I had high hopes he would order me Pearly Gates, but he's all done ordering, and already growing in pots.  I'm very disappointed☹☹.   He DOES has the Don Juan Camille mentioned,  and yes, it says very fragrant.  He also has 4th of July, and purple splash, which kinda caught my eye.  Others he has are Joseph's coat, and another orangey colored one, I don't care for.    Also I don't like the flimsy few petals some have.  

Some mentioned ordering online...i got a rose, think its Sweden from Dave Austin last year, and its still very tiny, so im afraid to order online again...just takes soooo long to produce.

Oh well, I wanted  baby pink color, but my nursery here didn't order any climbers in pinks...so I may go with Don Juan, especially for the fragrance.     Share your thoughts on fragrant climbers, with big blooms.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Queen of Sweden is an excellent rose from DA, it is disease resistant & our Extension no spray Rose Demo Garden has it. 

If it’s small, it’s possible it might be an own root vs. grafted rose. They are usually smaller in size & sometimes slow to start but within a year’s time get as large as the grafted roses.

A disease resistant & fragrant climber is Kordes Jasmina.

Respected Contributor

Thanks jazzmom, I got it late spring, think after May.   It's growing ok, but like you said, slow.   It's still very thin, and about 1 1/2 ft tall.  Skinny little canes..but it did flower☺.

Now, I'm on the hunt for a pretty climber...every time I find something I want(after much research)..i can't get it.