Respected Contributor

Happy healthy new year!! Suggestions for rose along driveway

I'd like to start off, by wishing everyone here a very healthy new year! I see some have experienced a tough winter so far...sorry for you lilysmom. At least your all safe, and your home faired well. Take it one day at a time. We've experienced similar during hurricanes, here in Florida. We do what we can, put our horses safety in priority...as far as the outside land goes. Some of you have those freezing temps to deal with...makes it a lot tougher. I used to live in N.Y., I know..BRRRRR.
Anyway...as some of you may remember, I LOVE roses, and hubby built me another large planter...bottomless. I found the roses I have are growing amazingly well in those. So we put this new planter along my driveway. My local aboretum will have his roses ready for sale by March. So I'd love to hear any suggestions on a tall, upright, VERY FRAGRANT rose to greet us as we enter the driveway. My Mr.Lincoln is by far the tallest, has reached over 5ft, and was planted last spring. Was still blooming until 2 weeks ago, then we got a freeze for a couple days. Also, I have a Legends, that blows me away with it's HUGE 6 in blooms...very FRAGRANT too. But not many canes, and only a few blooms...thats just to name a few of my faves. So, for the driveway I was considering a Francis Meiland but I heard the blooms fall quickly, and it doesn't grow too tall?? Any thoughts on that? Looking forward to your suggestions...stay warm, and healthy!!

Honored Contributor

Re: Happy healthy new year!! Suggestions for rose along driveway

@Dazlin. You love roses so much, have you checked in your area to find a rose society or rose lovers club?  You could get a lot of information from others who share your passion.  When I lived in Houston, I really got into bromeliads, had over 200 specimens and a big heated greenhouse.  I joined the Houston Bromeliad Society which opened a whole new world to me and I learned so much.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Dazlin, there is not one rose in my garden.  Hard to believe.  I may have the misconception that they are thorny and finicky.  I know @JustJazzmom has experience with roses, especially knockout roses.  @Kachina624 also.  Good luck and post some photos.  LM

Respected Contributor

Yes kachina I have looked for a club. There are 2, both at least 1 1/2 hrs drive...but I continue to look. I also inquired with some local libraries.
Lilysmom, yes, I find checking on my roses just about daily, keeps the problems away. I just pick off a few unhealthy leaves, deadhead after each bloom, then water as needed. I do spray mine weekly. The thorns don't bother me, and they serve their benefits to the plants. I find a quick daily check takes no more than 5-10 mins, and I find it's worth it, since I enjoy their beauty, and fragrance. I've got my front porch/walkway lined with roses, so they provide nice privacy, and heavenly to sit out there enveloped by them. But I'd say yes, they need A LOT of care.
Honored Contributor

@Dazlin Francis Meilland is fragrant but gets around 4’. By us on LI, NY it is an iffy plant in terms of how well it does. It didn’t do well at Extension Demo Rose Garden but at my house it has done well with average amount of blooms & they do last for a while on the rose. They do not ‘shatter’ or ‘ball’. 

Fragrant roses — look at the Kordes Parfuma series. I have Madame Anisette which is a grandiflora that is about 5’ high and narrow to about 2 1/2” wide. It is a cream with a blush of apricot flower. I also have Kordes Earth Angel as it’s called here in the US; called Herzogin Christiana in Europe — a floribunda in a pastel pink. These roses are not only fragrant but disease resistant.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Dazlin. You love roses so much, have you checked in your area to find a rose society or rose lovers club?  You could get a lot of information from others who share your passion.  When I lived in Houston, I really got into bromeliads, had over 200 specimens and a big heated greenhouse.  I joined the Houston Bromeliad Society which opened a whole new world to me and I learned so much.

This is a list along with their e mails of Consulting Rosarians across the USA. These people have taken advanced courses in roses re: diseases, insects, types of roses etc. & know which roses do the best in their areas of the USA. I suggest you locate in your state the Rosarians closest to where you live @Dazlin & e mail them your questions. 

http://www.rose.org/resources/societies/#fl

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

This is a list along with their e mails of Consulting Rosarians across the USA. These people have taken advanced courses in roses re: diseases, insects, types of roses etc. & know which roses do the best in their areas of the USA. I suggest you locate in your state the Rosarians closest to where you live @Dazlin & e mail them your questions. 

http://www.rose.org/resources/societies/#fl

Jazzmom, you have suggested me contacting them in the past....I have done so.   Unfortunately,they don't reply back.   Just thought I'd drop a line here, and see suggestions on some favorite roses for a driveway.   Francis Meilland looks and sounds beautiful, I've had my eyes on it ,and I'll get one for another area....but you mentioned its size....I think a wider, taller one would look better in my driveway.

Respected Contributor

Dazlin, for fragrance  you can't beat a Don Juan.  It can grow as a climber on an arbor, or be kept pruned like a hybrid tea.  It's an old, long-out-of-patent variety, but I still see it sold at Costco in season, so I suspect it's pretty popular.  I have my step-great-grand-mother's Don Juan that was bought for her by her son, my step-grand-father, before I was ever born.  In their time Grandma Meta (what we called my step-great-Grandma), my Mom, and now I have cared for that old bush, and it still thrives and grows and produces the most gorgeous red roses every year, and if you look in the smell-o-vision dictionary for a definition of the word/smell "rose", the Don Juan would be it.   I hope you can find it in your area, it's a truly lovely rose.

Respected Contributor

Camille, yes I'm pretty sure I saw that rose at my local nursery.  He buys from Weeks Roses, so I know they sell it.  I'll surely look into it.  Also the ones jazzmom mentioned.  Amazing your rose bush can live soooo long!!   Thanks for the suggestion. 

Respected Contributor

I'm glad you can probably find a Don Juan, Dazlin.  Yes, my rosebush is quite a marvel, given that I am in my sixth decade, meaning it is probably 70+ years old.  It's got lots of new, vigorous growth every year, and it's crown is very large, and has several large, stout canes, as well as growing new ones every year.  And the fragrance, oh my!  It's so rich that you feel like you just ate something when you take a big whiff from a blossom in the summer.  Best wishes!