Honored Contributor

20190704_080501_HDR downsized.jpg

The Impatiens still aren't where they should be, but things are looking generally okay so far. That enormous Japanese Anemone at the corner of the porch had a tag in it stating that it would grow 12"-18" tall when I bought it. It's five feet tall. It's also impossible to get rid of. I've dug it out three times and sprayed it with Roundup all to no avail. It just keeps coming back, so I'm learning to live with it.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor
Love your picture of the beautiful plants. Your house reminds me of a quaint house my in-laws lived in. Just two bedrooms but an attic to store things in.
Honored Contributor

It looks really nice!  And I love the ingenious watering system you described in an earlier post.

Honored Contributor

Happy Independence Day to all the proud Americans out there. @gardenman , your flowers are beautiful, thanks for sharing. 

Esteemed Contributor

Ref:  your corner plant that you can't kill.  I planted a Clematis where I shouldn't have and 30 years later I'm still cutting it down to ground - cuz no weed killer can touch it.  The Clematis roots go deep and are tangled in and with my large evergreen tree roots.  Last Saturday it was roof heigth due to all the rain - I cut it down  again!

Honored Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

Ref:  your corner plant that you can't kill.  I planted a Clematis where I shouldn't have and 30 years later I'm still cutting it down to ground - cuz no weed killer can touch it.  The Clematis roots go deep and are tangled in and with my large evergreen tree roots.  Last Saturday it was roof heigth due to all the rain - I cut it down  again!

Yeah, some plants are that way. I used to plant impatiens under the boxes then one year I decided to replace them with perennials. I had hostas, bleeding hearts, heucheras and other shade tolerant plants in there. Then I saw the Japanese Anemone at a local garden center and read the tag. It said it only grew 12-18" high with a similar spread and it had pretty flowers, so i bought it. Plant tags lie. It crowded out all of the other perennials and took over. I've dug it out, thinking I got all of it, but each spring it's back, bigger and stronger than ever. I've now conceded defeat and am trying to live with it. It is a pretty plant, just way, way too big for that space.

Oddly enough I can't get it to live elsewhere in the yard. There are places where I'd like it, but when I dig it out and move the transplants, they either die, or just hang on, but never really grow. For whatever reason it just loves the spot it's in and won't live elsewhere. At least it's pretty.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

@gardenman Happy Independence Day to you, too.  Love your latest photo with the flag waving on high.  Such beautiful flowers all around your porch and front yard.

Seems you have a plant that wants to stay with you and likes to "bloom where it was planted" so I guess you just have to bow to its tenacity and live with it.

I had to wrestle the urban pest--ailanthus trees seedlings--the invasive Chinese Tree of Heaven out of my back yard yesterday.  Got to them just in time--the main shafts were becoming quite woody on their journey (so they thought) to becoming real trees. 

Honored Contributor

@aroc3435  And anyone else who has them — a new insect pest called the Spotted Lanternfly uses that Tree of Heaven as a host plant.

Google for pictures — it has no natural predator here.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

@JustJazzmom   Good to know.  Off to do some reading about the insect you mention.  Don't need any new insects disturbing the backyard of my little rental house.  

My Landlord is great--feel free to plant I was told.