Respected Contributor

Had A Yellow Jacket Nest Removed Today

Feeling sort of sad...but had to be done as was too big in the ground and too close to a walk way. Pest guy said stay inside and far away until the morning..as the one's late to return are mad.. The guy dressed in a suit that looked like a giant marshmallow... 

Dislike killing anything. 😔

-Do Not Copy Pls-
Respected Contributor

Re: Had A Yellow Jacket Nest Removed Today

I read his receipt and the name of the poison......good grief.....hope it will not hurt my other wild life..... Just hate poison. 

-Do Not Copy Pls-
Esteemed Contributor

My husband used to pour gas on the nests and run. It worked,

Honored Contributor

I think I’ve taken care of one by my patio, without using any poisons. They don’t like water getting into their nests. I placed a hose by the hole, and just barely turned on the water. 

This gave them time to move out without hurting them.  

I still see a few coming back to the hole.  I turn on the water again. It’s working.  Just hope they don’t come back in full force once I go out of town next week. 

Honored Contributor

Not a fan of yellow jacket hornets. Now if that was a honeybee nest, I would be upset.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

@1Snickers wrote:

My husband used to pour gas on the nests and run. It worked,

🤣

-Do Not Copy Pls-
Respected Contributor

@september Awwww I like that method......I  have no water back there where they were.

-Do Not Copy Pls-
Honored Contributor

Good riddance.  I'm not going to be sad over some yellow jackets!  Mean and nasty insects! 

Honored Contributor

@cbrite wrote:

@september Awwww I like that method......I  have no water back there where they were.

Well...if in the future, you have this issue again, it might cost you less to go out and buy a cheaper hose and make it reach to your back area.  Rather than hire someone to come out. 

Like you, I dislike having pests like yellow jackets on my property, but when we use poisonous chemicals, there can be secondary effects to other insects or animals that live on our properties